Thursday, January 14, 2010

Take A Look At My Book Buffet

I've said it before...I'm easily distracted. Always have been, probably always will be. Except once in a while, I'll get my nose in a project, and you can't get me away from it until it's completely done. Everything else falls by the wayside, because I go from easily-distracted to super-focused. Weird, huh? I'm sure there's an acronym for it.

I've been doing my Clean Mama's Zone Cleaning Challenge for the day - cleaning my nightstand from top to bottom, inside and out (I'll post the pictures tomorrow - ooooo, you'll be proud of me). I stumbled on more books than I can shake a stick at. Many I am currently reading. At the same time. Do you do this? It's truly amazing that an easily distracted person like me can keep all those story lines straight - but I do! I have several books going - and I read them all at the same time...I read a few chapters of one book for a week here...and then I switch to a few chapters of another book there...unless it's a REALLY good book that I cannot tear my eyes away from - then I finish that one without straying to another...but, usually it's a sampling of one and then a sampling of another. They do get finished - eventually.

I am currently reading:
The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards
Wicked: The Life and Times of The Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
Stephen King's On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller
Blink by Ted Dekker

And I am continually reading/digesting/journalling about:
Journalution by Sandy Grason
Coaching the Artist Within by Eric Maisel
Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg
The Uncommon Woman by Susie Larson
The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron

I also have a copy of Shine by the Newsboys and issues of Writer's Digest in my bathroom that I thumb through constantly while taking a bath, and various other magazines while on long car rides.

Does anyone else do this simultaneous reading? Oh - I also have a book in the car - I can't remember the title, but I read it when waiting for the kids at their various activities. It's about two children with genius IQ's who are forced to live with their grandmother. It's funny - I keep track of all the story lines...Is anyone else a multiple book reader, too? How often do you read? Are you reading anything now?

2 comments:

Helga said...

Wow, I could never read that many books at once! I love to read and am a complete bookworm! I only read one book at a time though, I get so into them though that I usually finish them in no time. I just finished reading Kurt Warners First Things First book that him and his wife wrote. It was pretty good, I was pleasently surprised. I just started reading it because Tyrique loves The Cardinals so I thought it would be kinda cool of me to read the book and be able to talk football with Tyrique. Well, I really got into the book and liked it so much that I told Dewayne he should read it.

j said...

i love books. i try to read one at a time though. i get a bit obsessive. my love of books has me looking into buying an e-reader. i have no space for all my paperback children.