Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Dresser Clean Up

Well, this is the first of my projects for the week for my Clean Mama's Zone Challenge. If you remember right, this is my dresser's condition

BEFORE:

Now, upon first look, you would think that my biggest problem is that stack of books - my biggest addiction, rivaled only by my shoes. Or, maybe what lies in that purse or in that treasure chest. But, you would be wrong, because under that black sock was something more sinister that I didn't know I was avoiding. Seriously.
Under that black sock was a large stack of sympathy cards from when my dad died. (Yes that was three months ago...and no, I haven't thoroughly cleaned the top of my dresser in three months...just rearranged...Get over it!) On top of them was a stack of those pamphlets you hand out at the funeral (that my siblings and I designed) with his picture and inside was a poem about Jesus he carried in his wallet, and a more personal adaptation of his obit. And, on top of that was his obit from the paper...that I wrote.
When I found that stack of materials, I cried for about twenty minutes. Hard. I haven't really been able to do that since my dad died. I have a feeling that's just the tip of the iceberg. But, I think that's why I've been avoiding my dresser. You know where I put those things? In that treasure chest. And, I'm not touching them again until I'm ready. So there!
But, I did remove the books - I don't know what I'm going to do with that cool white bookshelf - I bought it at a thrift sale (for those of you in different parts of the country - tag sale, rummage sale, garage sale) for about $3. I love it and I can't part with it. I will find a place for it SOMEWHERE. God knows I have enough books. I did put a few - about 5 of the 5,000,000 - in the Goodwill bag. It's a start. Books are my friends. Anyhow, check this out:

AFTER:

AND A FULL FRONTAL SHOT:

The next thing I'm on to is the nightstand...which has a whole lot of books I'm not sure where I'm going with. We have big bookshelves that will eventually go up downstairs...I think I'll just put them in a pile down there...But I'm usually reading about 5 books at a time - do you ever do that?

8 comments:

Heather said...

Good job on your dresser!
I like Willow Tree figurines. :)
I have a lot of books, too. I was just thinking the other day that I am a collector of them. Ha. I just love it when they come in the mail, sometimes I don't have time to read them all, though.

Helga said...

Your dresser looks great! Don't you love having it all cleaned off and pretty looking :o) I am really looking forward to seeing the rest of the results.

I have been going through Markus's room and I forgot that I put a whole bunch of books in his closet....it was like winning the lottery, until I remembered that I have to downsize :o(

Sandy said...

WOW!!! I'm so behind on my cleaning! I'm proud of you, though. Thanks for the encouragement on my blog...8 more days to go!

Brianne said...

Wow! Awesome job! I love when I have everything organized! The upkeep is he hard part! Good luck!

Laura said...

Wow, looks great!! I LOVE willow trees too! Thanks for your comment today, it was great! :)

j said...

i feel your pain about losing your dad. i have my grandmas stuff still in little piles around my house because moving it,, or seeing still breaks my heart. food job on the dresser you must feel 20lbs lighter.

Cari said...

I think you motivated me for my day tomorrow! :)

Thanks so much for commenting on my post. You are so right about thinking on the things that are true...God's promises. The distractions around me tend to pull my focus off of God.

Clean Mama said...

Your dresser looks amazing - what a transformation! I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dad. I love the idea of putting things from him in your treasure chest. Great post!