Monday, December 28, 2009

We're Home...Did You Miss Me?

Well, my blogging buddies, we are home from a LOOONNGGG ride! I have the backache to prove it! (Remember, I threw my back out? It's doing much better, but I could have done without the 6 hour ride to and from my in-laws the past few days...) :) But, I did have a WONDERFUL time with everyone! I hope your Christmas was just as fun!
We started out our family's Christmas Eve on December 23rd. The kids got their usual Christmas Eve gifts - pajamas (so they look slick in their pictures...don't they, though?) and here they are with their unopened ornaments.
The next morning, they awoke to the rest of their gifts. You know what, though? This almost made me cry - they were more excited for US to open the gifts they bought US -then for them to open the gifts they bought EACH OTHER...we had to ask them - "Aren't you going to open your gifts?" and they were like, "NO! First you have to open THESE UP!" It was SO PRECIOUS - and they are not toddlers anymore! I felt so good knowing that giving really IS better than receiving! They GET it! It was so WONDERFUL!
Then, we set out for a one-hour jaunt to pick up my mom - we dropped her off at my sister's house (my sis and my in-laws live in the same town 260 miles away - quite convenient, don't you think?)
We had Christmas Eve at my sister Deanna's. This is my side of the family - the Brockman's. We are the loud, chaotic group. I LOVE this part of Christmas. We have a boat-load of people. There are four of us siblings that can make it (my sister Lori is on the West coast and unable to make the trip), and our spouses and our LOAD of kids - plus my mom. And three of us bring our little dogs...yes, you read that right! (At least they're LITTLE dogs. And, there's tons of food, and some go downstairs and play air hockey, but most just talk - loud.

Here's just a snapshot of a corner of the room. Three dogs. Miscellaneous conversations. Chaos. It's great. *love it!*

Oh, and the 28th (today!) is Deanna's 50th birthday, so we put together a book titled, "A Half Century of Memories of Deanna" and all of the siblings and the nieces and nephews threw together their favorite memories of Deanna - and, she's a character, so there's plenty of teasing that is in that book! She was so thrilled, she took it to the hospital where she works to show off to her fellow nurse friends the next night! We tease unmercifully in our family - it's how we show love!
Then, Christmas Day was spent at the Bixlers.
Quietly. Peacefully.
And there's something to be said for that, too. It was nice.
Here's three of the Bixler girl cousins: Bridgette, Rosa and Rachel. They had so much fun, we decided to leave the kids with their grandparents for the whole week.
So, you'll understand why I'm not around this week. Mike and I are having a 2nd honeymoon week. It's fabulous. He had to work today. Do you know what I did? I spent all of my Christmas money. I bought shoes and sweaters and sweatshirts. Everything was for ME. That was a first! Tomorrow, I am spending a gift certificate for a massage that I was given last March for my anniversary. You see how often I spoil myself.
So, later this week we'll meet my in-laws half way and pick up our little darlings. But, until then, we're a young married couple again! It's pretty fun! We're eating fancy meals and having lots of fun! It's crazy!
I hope you have a great week! I may or may not pop on the computer. I've kind of promised Mike that I'd focus all my attention on him. (He's at the YMCA right now.) :) Toodles!



3 comments:

Helga said...

Wow, it sounds like you guys had a blast. Your family sounds like mine, there are a whole lot of us, everyone brings their dogs and we are really LOUD. I love it :o) I like the quiet time too though.

Enjoy your Honeymoon week (I'm jealous). Shopping, spa, eating fancy meals....sounds great :o)

I'm glad your back though....I missed you!!!

Laura said...

What a great Christmas!! How sweet is it that your kids were more excited for you to open you gifts!? I love the crazy big loud family gathering too...as long as it's not every week. :)

TheFitHousewife said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Big family gatherings are the best!