Thursday, December 3, 2009

Foot In Mouth Disease

I've been doing pretty well lately. I've been careful to watch my mouth. I've reviewed what I write before I press "Publish Post" to make sure I'm not saying anything too embarrassing or crass. I don't share anyone else's story without their permission. (Which is why you know almost NOTHING about my husband...except that I'm crazy about him and he hunts...)
But, today I checked in on one of my bloggy friends.

And my stomach sank.

You see, she had mentioned in one of her posts about a previous post, where she appreciated all the comments, except one. The post was about fake Christians. Well, I had to open that post and see what insensitive person could have slammed my sweet friend!

I think she was talking about my comment! Gulp!

I misread the post! The comment I left ironically made me sound like a pompous, fake Christian to the HILT! Ugh! And, I haven't checked her blog for like days...so plenty of people had comments about my comment.

Yikes!

All I could do was leave an apology comment and say I misunderstood her post.

Which sounded pretty lame. And, like a fib.

But, it wasn't.

Have you ever done something like that? Written something totally off-base and sounded like an idiot - or worse, like a know-it-all or mean? Face-to-face you can laugh it off and people can read your eyes and know your intentions. Sometimes it's hard to do that in print. Oops.

NOTE TO SELF: Always reread posts before you comment.

7 comments:

Helga said...

Oh Honey I am so sorry! This is my fear when I write comments, that someone will misunderstand what I wrote! I would just write her a personal e-mail and offer your apologies and go from there. Don't dwell on it, there is nothing you can do now to change what you did! Big Hugs from me!

Pennie said...

Thanks, Helga. You're always such a good friend.

Kris Ann K. Erickson said...

Ooh - SO sorry, Pennie. Yucky. I'm so sure I've done this before - and never even been privy to it! Conveying your heart rightly in print is a tricky business.

*hugs*

PippaD said...

I doubt anyone that knows you could think of you as a fake, and that is from someone too far away to know you for real!

Kami said...

I'm full of those kind of comments! Foot in mouth disease was something that I thought originated from me!! ;)

TheFitHousewife said...

I hear ya! I always try to be so aware of what I say...but on the other hand I don't want to be dishonest! It's a fine balance. All you can do is apologize if you hurt someone.

Maura said...

Oh man!! I do stuff like that all the time. I am a bad speller and sometimes I will write the wrong word and it will seem like I am saying something totally different then what I meant. That stinks. I person love your comments and always had thought they are super thoughtful and sensitive.