Thursday, April 29, 2010

5QF For April 30th 2010


Mama M's at it again! Click on the 5QF logo above to get to her blog and play along on our Friday blog hop! She's cooked up five questions again this week...

1. If you could, would you go back to high school?

Not a chance! I had some fun, but I remember the pain that went along with those years...ugh! I was pretty insecure. In fact, I moved back "home" when I was pregnant with my first and ran into some old buddies. We were reminiscing and they were telling their side of some stories that I apparently "starred" in. Their versions sounded so much more fun than what I remembered. I sounded almost popular! One boy (who was now a man) admitted to having a crush on me (and, no - he wasn't hitting on me...I was 9 months pregnant at the time...) back in high school and said that several guys were. In my mind, I was not a pretty girl. And so many of my friends told stories and I just marvelled at how they perceived me. I didn't say it, but I remembered myself much different at the time. I felt like I didn't belong. Yet, they saw me differently. I think a lot of teenagers think of themselves that way - it's an awkward time. I think I had hormones to thank for that...ugh! No thanks! I'm more sure of who I am now. Thank God! I don't know about you, but the "fun" stories I tell from high school have been sweetened by lots of TIME. It has a way of sugar-coating the train wreck we called puberty. All I have to do is think of the drama and heartache of dating and I shudder! "Days of Our Lives" has nothing on that time in my life!

2. If a genie appeared and granted you two wishes, what would they be? (And, no saying "more wishes".)

A 2-week family trip to Hawaii (all expenses paid) and for all of my gardens to be forever weedless.

3. What kids show do you secretly like?

iCarly

4. What is your beverage of choice?


Iced Tea - with NutraSweet and a lemon

5. What is something that you would change about yourself (or are working to change in yourself)?

I want my family to think of me as "predictably happy". That they could approach me most times and I'll have a sunny disposition. I never want to grow old and be the crabby granny, either.

But, lately, I am working on my disorganized self. I've said before that I look like I have a tidy house. If you come visit me, the carpet is usually vacuumed and dishes are in the dishwasher. The bathrooms are generally clean and there isn't a lot of clutter (unless Angel leaves dog toys lying around!) But, if you should open drawers and cupboards...well, do so at your own risk. I may have you sign a liability first.

My hubby is on the tidier side. Like WAY OVER on the other side! This bothers him to no end. God gave me to him to help him overcome that neurotic thing he has (I say neurotic thing, he says I'm a messy person...)...but, even after 17+ years, he's not cured.

So, I'm trying to get my stuff together and really keep it together this time. I organize, but teenagers don't put things back - and I don't always, either, if I'm completely honest. So, hubby's turkey hunting this weekend and I've ripped a few drawers and closets apart. Here's my linen closet...which was something that was a bit of a problem, but now I've been working on it all morning...

I brought a crate up from the basement, and a black metal riser that was originally bought for a locker, but never used. Glad I saved it! It works great! We have to keep our beach towels accessible all year long, because the kids have swim class in gym a couple times a year, and we go to the YMCA in the winter...and in the summer the neighbors have a pool, and we have a boat - so they live in their suits and there's a load of beach towels in the washer every other day, it seems!
This shelf was not this neat, before. Trust me!

I actually had empty bottles of cleaner - and they were on the bottom of the closet, where I couldn't really see. So, now I can...

These aren't all my bath towels...I need to do laundry! (Didn't I say Mike was gone for the weekend? It's pizza and saving laundry for the 11th hour, ladies!)

I am so excited about this purchase (I'm not a good organizer, but I'm a geek when it comes to organizing supplies! I love them! Mike used to call me the Rubbermaid Goddess.). I bought these at Wal-Mart....check it out...

I have lamented over how to fold/store my sheets...I mean, for YEARS! I have folded every which way - folding each set into the pillowcase, putting them in neat stacks - you name it. If you scroll back up you'll see I have four of these babies...we will have four beds (once our spare room remodel is done), so one bin will hold two sets of sheets for each bed. Four little boxes. Isn't it NEAT???? I mean, it looks wonderful - sheets aren't spewing all over the place - that's what it looked like before - like my linen closet was throwing up! Now, it's all contained. I love it!!!
I'm working all day to organize another closet and three more drawers. When hubby gets home, I want him to be pleasantly surprised!

So,that was the long answer to #5! ;)

I hope that you will leave a comment and play along! I'd love to know what your answers are! It's so fun getting to know my friends in the cyber world through cyber-discussion questions like these (thanks, Mama M for putting this weekly list together!)

9 comments:

Stacey said...

I'm an iCarly fan myself. and I would never go back to high school!

Jennifer Nordin, LMT, CPT said...

Hi Pennie,
Sorry I missed SAMmy's on Wed, Gunnar and I were fighting some crud and didn't want to pass it around. Hope you are doing well, see you next week! Love, Jen

TAMMY said...

Interesting answer to the wish question. Weeds barely even make my radar. LOL

TheFitHousewife said...

Pennie a crabby granny....NEVER!

I didn't like high school either. I wasn't one of the "popular" ones and I had really low self-confidence. I'm so glad that stage of my life is done!

Have a great weekend.

CM said...

Hey, my DH is neat and tidy too! He's the clean freak. Me...not so much! It drives him nuts! But he is a bit overboard at times!

You did a great job organizing your drawers and shelves! Now, relax and have that pizza! Just don't forget the laundry in the 11th hour ;-)

Daisygirl said...

I secretly love iCarly too! She is adorable!
When you are done with that Genie send him/her my way please!

And I think you just inspired me to clean the linen closet!

Happy Saturday!

Debbie said...

I wouldn't go back to high school for a single day! I don't even like subbing there!

Seizing My Day said...

Pennie ~ you never get grumpy do you!?! =) I will take the all expense paid Hawaii vacation too! I love love Hawaii beaches! Have you ever been? I have been 3 times... once as a nanny (not ideal!) and twice on a very tight budget... also not ideal! but we were there! and enjoyed the beach! and a few extras! its the nice hotel I am after... just once! =)

Helga said...

I would love to get back together with my friends from High school but I would not want to go back in time. Reunions are for getting together again and that's good enough for me :o)

Good job organizing!! I can't wait till my home here is more organized and all of our things are put away!! I feel like that is never going to happen!