Last night, Mike and I went to our Subdivision Association meeting. We live in this confusing tangle of rural streets. There are three subdivisions in this grouping: Willow Ridge I, Willow Ridge II and Willow Ridge East. In all these roads, there are roads with names like Willow Ridge Road, Ridge Pass...it's just crazy! Who thought up this confusing mess? Anyhow...
Our subdivision association meetings apparently weren't well attended - maybe just 5 or 6 people - really! - until about three years ago. Come to think of it, that's when WE started attending.....Do you think? Yeah, that could be it! lol Now, the attendance is up to at least a dozen or more! ha ha ha Last night we must have had about 19 people - it was the best one yet...they must have heard the Bixlers would be in attendance! Oddly enough, nobody asked for our autograph...they must have forgotten...
Every year, they elect new officers...and nobody volunteers. Mike teased me on the way over that I would be elected president. Now, I am sorry to say that I don't know many of the people in my subdivision. In my defense, we all have 1+ acre lots so we're spread out and I DO know my immediate neighbors - like 5 or 6 of the families that live on either side of me and across the way, (oh - and a lady in a neighboring Willow Ridge who has a papillon named Lilly who I call "Lilly's Owner" and she calls me "Angel's Owner") but only one of the couples goes to the association meeting. We did say hi to them. We chatted with the others that we see at the meeting once a year, but we don't "know" them. Anyhow, they did strongarm some people into volunteering to fill the regular positions: President, VP, the treasurer stayed on (thank God!) and other board members. Whew! I don't need more commitments, and I used to be one of those people who volunteered for everything. I felt like I handled it all well. I didn't volunteer, and I really didn't feel guilty. I felt as if I'd matured in that area. My life is so crazy right now, anyhow.
Well, then there was the part of the agenda where we covered New Business. And they said they wanted somebody to welcome new neighbors to bring them the association covenant. Before I knew it, I said, "I'll do it if I can have money to bring them flowers, too, and go to area businesses and make this a 'welcome wagon' kind of thing. Hudson doesn't have anything like this and it's something lacking." Mike turned to me with that look that said, "I knew you couldn't help yourself. You know there's probably a 12-step program for people like you." They were glad to oblige. I was voted in on the spot. I'm really kind of excited. This is right up my alley. My gears are turning and I'm rearing to go!
I don't really even know where the street boundaries of our association ends and the next Willow Ridge begins, but I guess I'll have to find out. And, I'll have to regularly patrol and see when a house sells. It's only like one or two sales a year, so it's not like it's a big turn around or anything. And, if I make a goody basket I can put in info on SAMmy's. I love meeting new people and being friendly.
So, that's my new endeavor.
Some people just can't help themselves when they know they need to do something.
And, sometimes fun opportunities just drop in my lap.
I love that.
5 comments:
I think this sounds like something that would be a lot of fun :o) I would be super excited to move there and find you at my door with some flowers and a welcome basket!!! I have never had that happen when I move anywhere LOL.
Hope you are having a great Thursday!
That sounds like a wonderful idea Pennie! As I was reading your post I just knew you woulnd't be able to resist!!
I wish our neighborhood did that...but it's too big for that (over 3000 people)!
oh you are so funny....I can totally see you being like me oh me.
Our home owners meetings are in low attendance maybe you should come over and pep it up!
I can just imagine your husbands face! he he! =) that turned out to be a wonderful idea ~ and the SAMmy info would go nicely in a welcome basket! clever girl!
our newish neighborhood has a lot of bitter roots ~ lawsuits with the builder~ not nice to each other ~ lots of negative talk ~ its horrible ~ It is so hard to be optimistic around a bunch a grumps ~ bitter control freaks is more like it! =) I want to live somewhere more rural!! =) I NEED to live somewhere more rural! =) oops! sorry! me and my mouth get me into trouble!
That sounds like a wonderful idea
free classified india
Post a Comment