All is quiet right now. SShhhhh - did you hear that? Neither did I! That's because I'm HOME ALONE! On a SATURDAY AFTERNOON! Hubby is away ice fishing with buddies for the weekend, Bridgette left yesterday for a waterpark/hotel with her church youth group - so, it was just Aaron and I the past few days. I wanted to really bond this weekend. How do you bond with a 14-year old boy? Well, last night I drove him and his friends to the YMCA's teen night for a video game championship. Cool mom, huh? This morning, I took him out for breakfast at a place my friend Shelly and I go to, but I have never brought any of my family to (I let him know he was being treated to privileged information). It looks like a dive on the outside - it's called "Not Justa Cafe." The funny thing is, it IS just a cafe! They have really good food! The inside is pretty rustic - it's decorated with a bunch of mismatched signs. Let's see if I can remember some of them. "When you stop believing in Santa, you start getting underwear." "Everyone has a photographic memory. Some of us just don't have any film." "It is never a good idea to take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night." The whole place is full of signs. The coffee cups are mismatched, but they all have funny sayings on them. Even the waiters and waitresses uniforms have sayings on the backs of them. One waitress had a t-shirt with "I'm crabby...don't talk to me." written on the back. Another had "Do you want a bowl full of stupid?" (Don't ask me - I didn't print the t-shirts!) Anyhow, the whole atmosphere is pretty interesting. And, Aaron is a word nerd like me, so he really liked breakfast. Good food and an interesting place.
Then, we went to Kohl's because he needed some clothes and tennis shoes. He didn't much like the shopping part, but it was necessary.
We made a quick stop at Cub and saw Shelly's mom working in the deli. (I said "Hi, Shelly's Mom!" I should know better...I've known her for years...but, I do just call her "Shelly's Mom." Luckily I saw her name tag...Joyce!...and corrected myself. She laughed and said that's okay - Moms usually don't have real names - they are known by their kids.)
On the ride back, Aaron kept talking about how he wanted me to play a video game with him when we got home. Ugh! I don't play video games!!!! I said I had to do my housework, but he saw through that excuse. Luckily, his buddy across the street had a message waiting for him on our answering machine as soon as we stepped in (thanks, Noel!) and away he went. Whew!
In an hour he'll be back because Aarons is going to karate and then we are taking a road trip to visit my mom - my sister and niece are heading up from Milwaukee and Madison. It will be great to see them! Then, it's rush back to our hometown to pick up Bridgette at the church tonight, who will be returning from her youth retreat.
So, the only activity in my house right now are my fingers flying over my keyboard. The only sound is the hum of the refrigerator. I have peace and quiet and time to blog. At least for a few minutes. :)
4 comments:
Ahhhh...peace and quiet! It's so rare! My two oldest are headed to their grandparent's for a sleepover tonight, so it's just me and Ben. Hubs is away on a ski trip. I look forward to my quiet night!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
I love quiet time!!! I really miss having time to myself! Since we moved here I have not had any of that and I really need it right now. I have been trying to clean house all day because after the crazy week we had my poor home was looking a mess. I tell ya, after hours of cleaning, you can´t even tell I have done anything!!! Oh well, maybe I will get it clean by the time we go to bed tonight :o)
Enjoy your quiet time while you can!!
Love me some quiet time!
The cafe sounds like a fun place to go. I don't know what I'm going to do when my son doesn't want to hang with me anymore?? He's 11. I hate playing video games too. except for wii bowling.
Hi, I am your latest follower from FF, you can also follow my blog at www.safehomehappymom.com
You have an amazing blog here, I will definitely be coming back here.
Post a Comment