Saturday, February 27, 2010

Girlie Saturday

I've had a pretty good day today! Bridgette and I have had a Mother/Daughter bonding day. It's funny - now that she's almost a teenager (only a couple more weeks, and she'll be thirteen)! I've been carting her around to many of my speaking engagements since she was 5 or 6, but this was the first women's conference she got to attend with me - not as part of the set-up crew! It was really fun! We sat with my friend Kimberly. Bridgette babysits for her triplets, so they know each other pretty well. Since Bridgette has been my "mascot" for so long, she knows most of my friends pretty well and blends right in. Sometimes I wonder if she realizes that my friends are not in her age group.
The keynote speaker at the women's conference was Lisa Welchel. She played Blair on the '80's sitcom "The Facts of Life."
Did you ever watch that t.v. show when you were a kid? I did! Bridgette, of course, had never heard of it! So, in preparation for this morning, I had Bridgette watch an episode of it from the internet. It brought back memories! My favorite character used to be Jo. I always wanted to be a tom-boy, but never was. Sigh.

This is what Lisa Welchel looks like now:
She was really good. She talked about adult friendships. She has a new book coming out in April. I plan on getting it. She never formed normal friendships as a child - she was kind of a social outcast in elementary school, and then when she was 12 she moved from Texas to California to be in the Mickey Mouse Club and the Facts of Life. Child stars put up walls, because you have to be tough and never let anyone find out too much about your "real self" because it can get into the wrong hands and be published in the Enquirer. So, Lisa ended up just recently, in her 40's, having to learn to make real, honest friendships...something most people learn in their Junior High years. It was a fabulous talk! And, something I'm passionate about - it's what my ministry is all about - because the majority of moms out there seem to be hungry for true friendships, but afraid of being vulnerable and jumping into the "deep end of friendship."
Whew! That's some heavy talk for this blog, isn't it? That's just what's on my heart...sorry about that. :)
After that, Bridgette and I went to Herberger's - my favorite store - for their Community Day Sale. This is the best sale of the year and I got a TON of great deals - Christmas gifts for next year, silverware, a shower curtain...can you tell this sale gets me excited each year? :) One of my friends opted to shop instead of attend the Lisa Welchel thing because Community Days is her favorite day of the year and she wanted to spend as much time there getting her deals!!!! I'm not THAT into the sale...one budget can only handle so much shopping! :) But, in her defense - she is the best shopper I know, and she is getting some bang-up things for our SAMmy's retreat, so I applaud her decision!
Now, there's a pizza in the oven and a family in the living room, waiting for their wife/mom. So, I guess I'm being paged... :) I hope you have a great weekend!!!

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

I can't wait to do those things with my girls! I always liked Jo, too, btw, but I had to just face the facts (of life!) that I was probably a mix of all of them and that was probably the point! :-)

Helga said...

This is the reason why I want a daughter of my own :o( I want to be able to have mother/daughter days and someone to shop with. You are such a lucky Mama :o) I think Bridgette is a lucky girl too :o)

trooppetrie said...

what is her new book. i love her other one.

Seizing My Day said...

How cool is that to have "Blair" speaking at your womens event! Yep... I watched Facts of Life! I loved Jo too... I was a tomboy... just not as much as she was... ;) You will have to let us know about the book!! Sounds like a fun weekend! Speaking of I haven't visited you since Friday I think! This blog thing is time consuming! LOL! =)
Just Jenn~