Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Caged Heart Ornament

So, what were you doing at 6am? I was using a Q-tip to paint 48 wooden skewers with green food coloring! I'll have to post a picture of the finished product of THAT project that my friend Jocelyn and I are working on (pink chocolate covered strawberry rose bouquets) for our Valentine's party tomorrow.

We're also leading a craft for our ladies in SAMmy's. I had to test out the project, so I thought I'd take some pics to chronicle the steps - in case you all want to make a Caged Heart Ornament. They're kind of cute - you could hang it by your sink or give it to your Valentine or a friend. :)
These are the supplies: Pencil, fingernail clippers (to cut wire) 20 gauge silver wire, 24 gauge colored wire, heart jewel (one per ornament) and ribbon. You'll also need a 2" heart cookie cutter (not shown).
Cut a piece of silver wire to 16" with nail clippers. Bend the craft wire around a pencil to form a loop 4 inches from one end.

Center the loop atop a 2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, and wrap the wire around the heart, pressing to shape it. After you've made 2 loops, twist the ends together and trim the excess with wire cutters or nail clippers.


Remove the cookie cutter, then secure one end of a 3-foot length of colored craft wire to the heart. Run it across the heart's front and back, wrapping it around the silver wire at each pass. Enclose the gem in the middle of your wrapping to secure as you go. Tuck in the end of the colored wire to finish wrapping.



Tie a ribbon through the loop for hanging. We're going to print a scripture about a heart being secure in God or a steadfast heart and thread that onto the ribbon before tying it.
Well, I'd love to hear what you plan on doing with your friends/kids/hubby for Valentine's Day! Please feel free to comment (you know how I LOVE comments!!!!)

5 comments:

Kami said...

Super cute! I love Valentine's day and I'm thrilled that I finally get to celebrate it!! :)

Happy Hearts day sweet friend! :)

Heather said...

That is such a cute craft! :-) We're celebrating my Grandma's birthday on Sunday. I don't know if my husband has anything planned though for Valentine's weekend. :)
About my vintage post- that is so funny that you brought up that Crissy doll because I had on that was my moms! She had brunette hair. I love pulling her hair out and then cranking the dial to make it shorter. :)

TheFitHousewife said...

Look like fun! We'll be eating chocolate, that's about it!!

Kris Ann K. Erickson said...

This is so clever, Pennie! Enjoy your brunch ... I KNOW that you will!

Blessings!

PS - Thank you for the bloggy award.! I "heart" you! I will collect it someday (hopefully soon)! :-)

Seizing My Day said...

That is SO cute! I wonder if I have it in me to try to make one in my near future?? =)
Just Jenn ~ www.seizingmyday.com
I will fix this problem... I will!