Here I sit, a Sunday afternoon. I am waiting in anticipation. I have a HUGE pot of stew cooking on the stove. HUGE. The house is immaculate. My work is done. The dog is even combed out. Now, I just wait.
I haven't seen my hubby in eleven days.
That's a long time when you're home alone with two teeny-boppers.
Oh, we had a pretty good week, don't get me wrong. There were the usual ups and downs (like locking my keys in the car an hour before the bake sale last weekend!), but I just miss my husband!
He's been out west, in Montana hunting with buddies for the past week and a half on a much needed get-away. We talked just yesterday - he called me on his cell. So, I do know that his crew of three extra guys will be staying for dinner (plus one wife, who is driving up to meet her hubby). I also know two guys may be spending the night tonight. Enough food made to feed everyone? Check. Sleeping accomodations taken care of? Check. Breakfast? Check. Clean house? Check. Goodies baked? Check.
I have to chuckle to myself. My mom used to complain about my dad - he was kind of an antsy pants. He'd rush through stuff and then impatiently wait for something - whatever the next thing was - to happen. I guess I'm a little like that. A little, anyhow.
So, I've done what I can do - cleaned, cooked, prepared...I'm all ready and waiting...I have that feeling like Christmas night. And, according to what Mike said on the phone yesterday, they probably won't show for another two hours! I hope they're early...
2 comments:
Oh goodness, I really can relate to this post! Though my husband is usually only gone for an extended weekend for hunting, it still seems like a lot when you're home alone with four kids and just missing him! I know the feeling of having prepared everything for his return and then just waiting for it to happen. I'm hoping and praying that it was every bit as wonderful as you anticipated! Also hoping that you had a bit of intimate time for yourselves as well (which, by the way, you should definitely stop by and read my latest blog post because it covers, ahem, THAT topic!).
Sometimes it's in the waiting that we often learn the most :)
I don't know what it is like to have him gone like that, he usually only travels overnight. But he leaves early in the am and comes home late at night, usually after the kids are in bed so we do miss him!
And you are so nice to accommodate all those people!
Post a Comment