Saturday, November 7, 2009

Thank God For Mornings

"...for weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning." Psalm 30:5

Wow. Yesterday was just too much. I baked my heart out - 2 pecan pies, a cherry pie, and 3 batches of carmel corn. I did a little ministry work on the computer in the morning, in between baking. I set up our bake sale table with Melissa, pricing and transporting a TON of baked goods from one location to another (way to go, SAMmy's girls...you rock). I worked the evening shift, too.

But I was really off my game yesterday. I didn't get half of the things done I usually do. Things being said to me didn't sink in...it's like my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders. I'm not sure what that was all about - I had a migraine the day before, and I have a little one today - maybe residual headache? Not sure...but let me tell you - "airhead" doesn't begin to sum up my state of mind yesterday!

Melissa and I set up for the bake sale at the Catholic church in our town. We were one of many exhibitors at their annual craft bazaar. The plan was that after Melissa and I set up our bake sale exhibit, I would leave for the bank, to get various bills to use as change at our sale. Things were rushed, but we were going according to plan. I had just a few minutes to spare. Melissa left, and I buzzed to the bank. I sat in my Trailblazer in the parking lot of the bank, figuring out exactly what I needed ($10 in quarters, 10 ones, 10 fives, etc.). I called my daughter on my cell to tell her to get a tupperware container for our change, switch up the washer/dryer, do a few more chores and meet me at the end of our driveway. I would pick her up soon. I went into the bank, and when it was almost my turn to speak to the teller, I noticed I didn't have my keys...they were - yes - locked in my Trailblazer. With my cell. Could that be right? I double checked my purse. I ran back to the Trailblazer, and although the keys weren't in the ignition, there they were - on the passenger's seat...next to my cell in the cup holder. Unbelief. Crud. Panic.

I ran back into the bank and asked to use the bank's phone - but the thing about modern day phones is you program everyone's number, so you never really know anyone's number by heart anymore. Except your own. So, I called that number. As if my 12 year old daughter could help me! Well...maybe she could have looked up a number of a friend...if she weren't standing at the end of the driveway, like I told her to. I left a message. And held back tears.
I got my money, and walked out of the bank. One man about my age looked at me, "Poor pitiful woman..." his look seemed to say.
To make a long story short - a nice woman named Jenny answered my silent prayer and she gave me a ride to my house - where my husband (bless his heart) had a key fob with a keyless entry button for my Trailblazer.

The conversation went like this:

Me: Silent conversation in my head "God, you saw that guy in the bank look at me pitifully? I WILL LET HIM GIVE ME A RIDE HOME! I have 45 minutes to get to St. Patricks Church to run a bake sale to get money for YOUR work! A ministry YOU gave me! AND YOU KNOW NOTHING GOOD WILL COME OF ME TAKING A RIDE FROM A MAN...so unless you have any better ideas, you need to send somebody else out here to rescue me...I only have 45 STINKING MINUTES!!!!!"

Her: "Excuse me, did I hear you say you locked your keys in the car?"
Me: Nodding, trying not to cry.
Her: "You never know nowadays when to offer a ride to a stranger, but if I can help'"
Me: (starting to cry) "I need a ride home."
Her: Starting to panic "Oh, honey - I can give you a ride home - don't cry. This is my van, right here - "
Then, we get in and make small talk...
I wipe my tears away, and the man from the bank walks past and looks at me pitifully, like he feels really sorry for me "It will be okay" he seems to say. I feel like a real loser.
Her: "I guess I can introduce myself. My name is Jenny."
Me: "My name is Pennie."

Then, I wiped my tears away, and the rest of our conversation was pleasant. She was so nice to help. She made the whole evening work out - it could have ended much differently if I didn't have her help! Eventually, I got home. And all got straightened out.

Kimberly, who was scheduled to work the sale with me that evening manned the table alone for a while I worked to get another vehicle (manning a bake sale table alone is nothing compared to her day job - manning four year old triplets!) and I eventually got everything straightened out. (With Kimberly's help - again - we played "musical cars"!)

And, today is another day. The sun is shining. I just finished my second and final shift at the bake sale (which is going FABULOUS, btw) and things are great.

Rejoicing comes in the morning. Because yesterday is over. Sometimes it just goes that way. Thank God for mornings.
Have a great day!

3 comments:

Helga said...

Oh I am so sorry you had such a bad day. I'm glad to hear that everything worked out in the end, somehow it always seems to do that huh? Also I am so glad to hear that the bake sale went well :o)

Chell said...

I am glad everything worked out. I had that panic set in about a month ago, I was running errands on my lunch... only I dropped my keys IN the store. I am SO EXTREMELY thankful for the honest person that turned them in to lost & found.

Shannon K. said...

This is something I have done! I read this post earlier, and had to tend to one of my little ones before I could finish my comment. In any case, I am so glad it all turned out well in this case.

By they way, you will love the toffee if you try it! :)