Wednesday, November 25, 2009

TURKEY DAY PREP

I had my day ALL PLANNED today...just the way I like it! (Not the way I always have it, mind you - don't let me fool you. But it is the way I like it!) First thing on my list? Making my friend Robbin's famous "Harvest Pumpkin Bread"...this is the best sweet bread you've ever had! (Recipe can be found in comments.) It's a Thanksgiving staple!
I went to the pantry to get the ingredients which I bought AHEAD OF TIME because they were ON SALE - how efficient of me!!!! I'm doubling the recipe, so I needed two bags of chocolate chips - and I found WHAT??!!! One bag and ONE QUARTER BAG?! WHAT THE HECK??!!!
!!!!!!AARON!!!!!!! I tell you, this teenage boy eats me out of house and home!
Me: Who ate this bag of chocolate chips?
Aaron: (Grinning) I only ate a little bit.
Me: It's three quarters gone!
Aaron: Oh, c'mon! I only ate about a quarter of a bag!
Me: Aaron, you are an A student in math! Do you mean to tell me you don't know the difference between a quarter and three quarters? (Aaron shrugs) There is a handful of chips left! Do you think I can make my recipe with this?
Aaron: (shrugs) I don't know.
And it occurs to me. He doesn't know. AAARRGGHHH! There is absolutely no point to this conversation. The bottomless pit was hungry and a bag of chocolate chips was not hidden very well and he spotted it. End of story. End of story for the bag of chocolate chips - that's for sure!
So, I guess I'm off to the store and I better make this bread quick.
I think I'm going to take the other bag of chocolate chips with me and hide them in my car.
A mom's got to do what a mom's got to do.
Happy Thanksgiving prep day to all my mom friends out there! May all your sons be full today, and ignore your stockpiled ingredients!

6 comments:

Kami said...

hehehehehe :) I love this story! I understand it all too well, and my oldest boy is only 10!!

Kami said...

P.S. Do you care to share the recipe for that Harvest Pumpkin Bread?!?!

Pennie said...

Sure, Kami!
Harvest Loaf Recipe(Makes 2 Loaves)

Preheat oven to 350.

Ingredients:
3 1/3 Cups Flour
2 tsp. Soda
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Ginger
1/2 tsp. Cloves
1-1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 Cup Butter
2 Cups Sugar
4 Eggs
1 (16 oz.)Can Pumpkin
2 Cups Chocolate Chips
1-1/2 Cups Nuts

Grease bottom of loaf pans.
Combine flour, soda & spices. Cream butter.
Gradually add sugar. Cream well.
Blend in eggs - beat well.
Add dry ingredients & pumpkin. Mix.
Stir in chips and most of the nuts.
Put in pans. Sprinkle top of breads with nuts.
Bake at 350 for 65-75 minutes.
Cool completely before slicing.

TheFitHousewife said...

OMG...I'm totally going to make that, eat it, and then down a bag of chocolate chips!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Brianne said...

Oh no you are scaring me about boys and their eating habits!!
That bread sounds yummy!!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Helga said...

My oldest son is a bottomless pit and eats me out of house and home. I had no idea that boys could eat like that until I had him. Oh by the way he always manages to find my chocolate chips and eat the whole bag too. The funny thing about him is that he is not a candy person, he likes real food but he loves the chocolate chips. :o) I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!