There's something humbling about somebody doing something for you that you can't. I've had friends come and bring me meals. And I've appreciated every one! But, today a friend came and helped me do something that I absolutely cannot do for myself. And I never asked her to. She just suggested it, and then came over and did it.
Today, Elin came over with her two preschool boys and we bought some flowers and she planted them for me. (After she delivered a meal last week and saw the sorry sight of my front flower bed!)
She came with ANOTHER meal in hand (bless her heart) and we were off to the nursery to pick out flowers. We found some dandies. Now, my hands do not work well enough to plant. She is well aware of that. I can't do a thing! So, I paid for the flowers...that was about all I could contribute...and I took the boys to the park that connects to my backyard. Elin planted away, after we planned out how I wanted things done.
Afterward, we talked about how real Christianity is putting yourself out there for other people, and how she believes I do that for other people and she wanted to do that for me. I started to cry. She really worked her tail off planting those flowers...and it's HOT today! She really sacrificed just to do something nice for me.
She wiped the tears off my face and told me that she would be here next week. I didn't realize this would be a weekly thing.
I'm so glad it will be.
I'm glad I have a friend like Elin.
It makes me realize that it's really important that I continue to do practical things for other people who can't do things - like elderly people and lonely people.
I didn't know how much this meant to me.
But, it seems like I didn't realize how much it means.
Because I had no idea it would make me cry, for Goodness sake!
A good friend can do that, I guess...
11 comments:
I love when good things happen to good people, and you, Pennie, are a very, very good person.
Three of my favorite bloggers (you being one) live in MN, I might have to make a road trip :)
I'm so glad you have friends to lend a helping hand, you certainly deserve it. If only I could lend a helping hand myself... and I'd still dance with you like in your dream :)
Have a great week, Miss Pennie!
Marianne
So sweet! It is so heartwarming to read stories of Christian's "washing each others feet." :-)
That is so sweet. I know that planting flowers is hard work, physically and alot of women aren't all up on the "getting dirty" part of it either! :) That was a very sweet thing for her to do.
I too, love to hear how God is still always working in your life. I think sometimes that because of what you've accomplished, people tend to think you don't have much more to learn!!! But you do share with us the life lessons that you are learning with each and every new day in your life.
Thank you for sharing them with us :)
Love you
Truly reading your blog shows me that there are really some wonderful people in the world!
I enjoyed reading your post, friends like this are for life!!!
What an awesome friend and a great reminder to me that it's important to my self aside and help others. Thanks for sharing and please know that God used you to speak to me about something he has already been working on in my heart. You are a blessing!
What a wonderful friend! It makes me want to call some of my friends and do something special for them!
What a wonderful thing for her to do for you. I know how hard it must be to not be able to do everything yourself. It makes my day to read what great people you have in your life Pennie! You are so lucky....they are too :o)
That is so sweet. What a wonderful friend you have there....a real keeper!
This is so cool!
Helga told me you posted a 'Just Thursday' last week. I just wanted to let you know that I actually added a McLinky this week. If you have a moment please check it out.
http://www.murdocksmama.com/2010/05/just-thursday.html
-Murdocks Mama
It's nice to have such wonderful friends!
There is nothing like a true friend, no one can replace them...
hope your feeling better?
Post a Comment