Anyhow...today turned out to be a sunny day. Not like the past few rainy days. I thought it would be perfect to hang out some clothes. I have been meaning to dig out my clothespins and see if I can squeeze them, since I've been diagnosed with MS. I've had a sneaking suspicion that my hands are not strong enough. I've been afraid to try, because there have been so many things I have not been able to do. If I couldn't squeeze the clothespins...well, I didn't know if I could take the disappointment. I've been handling things pretty well, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't bug me every time I found out I couldn't do something anymore that I could do before. And, I knew this one thing means alot to me!
So, this morning I knew I couldn't put it off any longer. I went into my laundry room closet and got out my clothespin holder. I tried one, and it wouldn't budge. I felt the tears rising up, but figured that maybe, just maybe there would be another that would be easier to squeeze. I tried another, and another...pretty soon I had tried the whole bag full and none would open far enough to get over a clothesline. Shoot! My disappointment turned to anger. This was a new emotion for me...I usually am not an angry person!
Poor Aaron, my teenage son, was just waking up and was walking down the hall. His room is right next to the laundry room. He was walking down the hall, and the bag of clothespins just missed his nose by an inch or two as it sailed from the laundry room into the bathroom across the hall. He did a double take and looked into the laundry room where he saw a very angry mom - very out of character for me - and he was pretty confused. He said, "Mom? What's going on?" I burst into tears and said "Nothing! I just wanted to throw a bag of clothespins!" And, I ran into my bedroom.
Just then, Mike came in on the scene. He thought Aaron and I were arguing - another thing that was out of character for me - and asked Aaron about it. Aaron was still clueless, so Mike came into our room, where I was bawling my eyes out. Mike was totally taken aback and asked what was going on. I explained and I think he just didn't know what to do. Poor guy. Then, he had a great idea. There are those clothespins that you push onto the clothesline. I don't know if I have the strength to do it, but now I'm determined! I WILL hang clothes on the clothesline again - mark my words!!! Mike and I were joking...he's an engineer by trade, and he joked that maybe he can rig up a machine that could use an air compressor. Imagine our neighbors seeing me use a high-powered rig like that to squeeze my clothespins! I'll be the talk of the town!!! lol!
So, I've been shopping all day - I've been to Target, Walmart, TJ Maxx, Home Depot, Menards, Department Stores...I can't find them! Everyone has the spring-loaded clothespins, but not the old-fashioned kind you just push onto the clothesline - you know the kind I mean?
If any of you are shopping, and you see them somewhere, especially if they're at a store we may have here in the Midwest, could you please let me know where you see them? I would love to hang my laundry. I really would! Thanks so much!!! You guys are the best!!!
And, in case you're wondering, I'm over my pity party and I'm on to being a determined person again. And, a happy one, too. :)
5 comments:
I'm a professional. I'm on it :)
I agree nothing like the smell of washing that has been dried in the son with a bit of wind.........
Ebay Pennie!! or Google or Amazon ~ use the term Vintage Clothes Pins ... I found options!! Maybe even Antique stores?!! I did a very quick search and I found some!! =)
I'm sorry you weren't able to squeeze the clothes pin :o( I love how determined you are though!!! You are an example to the rest of us :o) And Pennie, it's okay to have a bad day every once in a while!! There would be something majorly wrong with you if you didn't have a bad day and get angry for the things you can not do.
I hope you find the clothes pins that you are looking for! My Mamma loves to hang clothes out too, I'm always so afraid that I will get bugs in my clothes :) I'm such a wuss when it comes to bugs LOL!
Have a great Sunday!
I will be on the outlook....I am so sorry you are going through this, I just want to give you a big hug and tell you everything will be alright.
Thinking about you! ♥
Post a Comment