Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Memories

My Memorial Day weekend was a whole lotta fun! Hope yours was, too!

It all began BEFORE Memorial Day, actually! Last Thursday I buzzed over to Eau Claire - my old stompin' grounds and helped an old friend put on a garage sale (in those parts they call them "Thrift Sales") to help raise some money for her household. She's kind of overwhelmed with a personal situation, so she called on her old friend to help. I guess my ability to boss people around  take charge of situations comes in handy once in a while! ;) (She asked me for help because she knew I could "keep her on task"...my reputation for being bossy precedes me...?) We managed to take a whole lotta stuff and must have made it look pretty inviting to a lot of folks, because we managed to have what we considered to be a wildly successful sale! I was so happy for my friend! She and her husband are really good people! She is the mom of six kids and I am in awe of her. And thanks to my friend Cathy for getting the word out on Facebook! It's great to be able to network for the good of others!

I came back on Friday night. I had a meal already in the fridge, made ahead of time, so Bridgette was able to pop it in the oven and it was done by the time I got home. Bonus! We had a family movie night Friday. *Love that!*

Saturday our fam went out fishing for pan fish. The highlight was when Mike pulled in a BIG NORTHERN on the nighcrawlers we were using. (A Northern is a BIG FISH that you usually need a lure to catch...it almost snapped the line.) What a hoot! We had to stop off at the local ice cream shop on the way home to celebrate... And we had a fish fry Saturday night. (We fry the lot of them up in our big propane turkey fryer outside on the driveway...so we don't stink up the house...ewwww...)

Sunday, we went to church and then did a little yard work. Mike and I took a little drive and went for a walk in the State Park in between storms. We grilled out and did some shopping.

Yesterday, we shopped around for some plants for around our yard. It was so fun planning it all! We ended up purchasing some creeping phlox in different colors for different areas of our gardens. Mike planted them and I did a little weeding. It was really muggy and warm...I had a little trouble with that. Mike and I did some driving around and found some beautiful trails nearby and walked them for hours! We took the kids to Dairy Queen and spent some time down by the St. Croix River near our home. We grilled out again. All weekend we opted to read instead of spending time in front of the t.v.

What a great weekend!

7 comments:

McVal said...

wOW! Looks like you had a very busy but fun weekend! Deep frying the fish sounds like a great idea... We have one of those turkey fryers too.
Good thing you're bossy and your friends LIKE that! :)

Liz Mays said...

Your weekend sounds like heaven to me. Love the idea of reading instead of watching tv!

It wasn't until recently that I found out there were so many names for garage sales. That's my name for them, but around here they call them yard sales.

Seizing My Day said...

yay for a wildly successful sale!! Way to go Pennie helping her out!! I am not a huge fish fan... but man you make it sound sooo good! =) post pics of your flowers k!!

Pennie said...

Jenn...you would be sorely disappointed at our flowers...we bought really discounted creeping phlox plants because they are end of season and not flowering much anymore...but they will be back with a vengence next year...that's what happened a few years ago in parts of our other garden! :) It just looks a bit sick right now...so, no pics...you'd wonder why in the world we did THAT???!!!! The answer? We're cheap!

The Price Family! said...

Sounds like such a fun time! Glad you had a safe and happy weekend! :)

TheFitHousewife said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend Pennie :)

Kurtzhals said...

The Phlox our my FAVORITE besides the lilac bushes. Bummer they don't flower all year round. They are beautiful!
I'm trying to think of who has 6 kids? Angel? Who's sale did I miss????