Oh, I saw it advertised for a few weeks now. We're just not t.v. watchers as much as we're readers or kid-chasers (or shall I say chauffeurs?) or chore doers. (Except the news...we usually break for the news....or, if we're really tired we do tend to veg out in front of the boob tube.) Going by the ads, I FIGURED I'd love it once I saw it...but I never have happened upon it...until last night.
Color me obsessed.
Seriously.
EXTREME COUPONING on TLC...have you seen it?
These women are nuts! They coupon clip and purchase stuff they don't even use and store it in a storage room in their home...it honestly looks like a grocery store in there!!!! You've got to admire their neat little organized row upon row of cereal, toilet paper and laundry soap - and then there are the over-the-door shoe hangers filled with seasoning packets, so you can see what you have...like a grocery store! There are oodles of them! (And what program is on after Extreme Couponing? You guessed it - Hoarders! Isn't that a HOOT??)
Anyhow - I thought that was kind of extreme (duh - I was warned...that's part of the name of the show...), and wondered what these women were doing with all this stuff they didn't even USE???!!!! What a waste, right???? One woman bought cat food and she doesn't even own a CAT???!!!! What is up with THAT?! (Until I clipped a coupon this morning for $5 off Allegra Allergy medicine because I saw that Cub had it for an introductory price of $5/box...so I'd get it for FREE...and I prayed that I'd be able to bless somebody with it...and my friend Robbin heard that I was getting it for free and didn't really want it - and she uses it! Cool! Be blessed, Robbin - be blessed!)
They interviewed this one gal - and she looked normal....pretty, even. She showed the viewing audience this room she has kept up that looks like a grocery store - she purchases 100+ bottles of pain reliever at a time - 36 bottles of dish soap...crazy stuff! It's all lined up on shelving units - like a store. 100 bottles of pills? Whatever for? (She got them on sale and with a coupon - the store ended up paying her 50 cents for each bottle! So, she got $50 to spend on other groceries because she had 100 coupons for those 100 bottles of pills. Isn't that CRAZY????)
She said she believed the ability to do this was a gift from God! (100 bottles of pills is a little too overwhelming for me...) She can get so many items because people from all over send her coupons, because they hear what she does. What does she do that people from all over send her their coupon circulars???
She hoards all this stuff and organizes it (like a store) and then lets people (like her daughter-in-law) come and "shop for free." She donates stuff to the food shelter each week. She donates to charity.
Now - this is starting to sound REALLY APPEALING to me! I used to be a coupon queen until we moved here (because things here are expensive and their coupon policies are more strict and it's way more work!). But, I've got to tell you - this could come in handy for a woman like me, in women's ministry! I do a ton of service projects every year and help out women! I send people to food pantries. What if...????
Today I went to Target to try out my "Coupon Magic" with the info I got last night, and some inspiration...and the measly amount of coupons I had in my little stash (nothing compared to what I'm GOING TO GET!).
This is what I got:
(I know...a lot of fingernail and toenail clippers, but I'm stocking a lot of travel kits right now!)
I paid $ 11.02...and saved $ 27.34!!!!
Isn't that remarkable!!!!?????
Anyhow, I used to clip coupons all the time where we used to live, but when we moved here 6 years ago, this became a coupon and deal no-man's land. I think I was just disappointed because I compared the two economic climates too much. Now, I'm ready for the challenge! I can do this!
And, it gives me a good excuse to finally clean out that storage room downstairs once and for all! I need a place to
If you haven't seen this show, I dare you to watch it and try not to get inspired. If everyone could do this just once in a while and donate their extras to food pantries...that would be cool!
11 comments:
Girl, once you start you'll be hooked! I usually slow way down in the summers because we eat out so much while traveling that I don't buy a ton of groceries but I never stop looking for deals. Here are some of my posts about couponing, even showing my first binder :)
http://ilikethewayyoudo.blogspot.com/2010/01/target-dealsand-shopping-without-kids.html
http://ilikethewayyoudo.blogspot.com/2010/01/more-savings.html
http://ilikethewayyoudo.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-year-resolution-1couponing.html
http://ilikethewayyoudo.blogspot.com/2009/12/deals-of-week.html
Search "coupon" or "couponing" on my blog...you'll find lots :P
And yes, please post your findings!!! Inspire us wise one.
I have been curious about the whole couponing thing, but too lazy to ever try it. It seems so overwhelming and I don't even know where to start.
we don't get cable so I haven't seen the show, but I sure have heard a lot about it!
I have heard about this one from about 3 other bloggers so far... Never seen it! But want to.
I don't know if you know my friend over at simpleslug.blogspot.com, but she can go into a RiteAid with a bunch of coupons and come out with an armload of stuff and they're paying her to take it... She's amazing!
I have never been organized enough to do coupons, but I really want too.
I can't wait to see that show!!! I am all for using coupons but I don't really know how to...hopefully I can learn the basics watching this show :) Less than 3 weeks and then I will be back in the states and can start couponing and saving money :)
I agree with the first girl...you will be hooked!! But it's good because you save LOADS of money. We have been doing the "couponing lifestyle" for about a year and a half now and it has changed our lives and it's honestly what has been able to keep me at home with our kids. There are many trips where I get paid for buying their stuff...not a bad deal. :) We went from spending hundreds of dollars a month on groceries to almost nothing. The nice thing is you can do as little or as much as you want. Good luck and happy couponing!! :)
Obsession doesn't even begin to describe some of those people on that show! CRAZY! We don't have nearly as many coupons here in Canada....actually, we barely have any :(
I really like the show, and I would love to get into coupons & freebies again (a few years back I was really into the coupon/rebate craze-it's def addictive!!)The only thing I didn't like about the show was, in some instances it was borderline hoarding (like buying 75bottles of mustard, and the DH didn't even like mustard)just because you have that many coupons. Some of the couponers did donate to food banks, and one guy fixed up kits for those in the miliary, but some of them just bought stuff and stored it away (all over the house!!).
When I used to use coupons, I had several "free" trips to the grocery store, but I only bought what I would use. This show has def got me fired up about using coupons again though!!! Can't wait to hear about your coupon savings....good luck!
I know right! I heard of the show and was like, "Oh puleeeze!" Then my kids were watching it, and I slowly got suckered into the show! The only problem is those coupon deals would never work here in Canada. So glad you got to try for yourself though!
I don't have cable... but I need to find a way to watch that... seriously?!! crazy! I used to do well with coupons... I have gotten very lazy!! *sigh* =)
I just came across this show myself! I used to be in the category of 'extreme couponer' but after I had our 2nd child, it was just way too time consuming to keep up with. I didn't get to see an entire episode - and I think I've only watched one - and one woman I saw hoarded the massive amounts of things, with no mention of donating, and I wondered just how empty her heart is that she would think all these free items could fill it up and make her happy - she even said that this is her source of happiness! :(
So, I'm VERY glad to hear that the show does highlight people who understand that this is a talent from God and it should be used to further His kingdom!
And awesome job on your savings! ...can't wait to see what you can do with a big stash of coupons! :)
Thanks for stopping by Housewife and Homeschool!
The first time I watched Extreme Couponing...I am pretty sure I sat there with my mouth hanging wide open!
Post a Comment