Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Drama of The Day

I live in the land of drama. No, not the usual kind of drama.
It's our...
weather.
Seriously.
People in my neck of the woods are fascinated with the weather. The weather finds its way into most conversations any given day of the week.
You think I'm kidding?
The weathermen around here are practically celebrities, I kid you not!
I imagine the youngsters no longer aspire to be the president, or astronauts...it's the weatherman, hands down.
He's our hero.

Sometimes the weather around here is all hype.
Take, for instance, the sirens.
(No, really - take them! Please! Dismantle them and take them...I won't tell!)
We have the proverbial Midwestern tornadoes in the Spring and Summer months. I appreciate the sirens blaring when I'm in danger, to let me know to get my family in the basement. I really do.
Just two summers ago there were two tornadoes that touched down within a few miles from my subdivision. Bridgette and I were on a crew to help clean up one of those neighborhoods.
But, I cannot tell you how many times I have woken up at some obscene wee hour of the morning - 2am or 3am - by the shrill peal of a siren.
I have bolted upright, in a panic and listened to the t.v. only to find that the sirens were because of a THUNDER STORM WARNING???!!!!
You wake me up to tell me there's a thunderstorm warning??? Big deal! Save the sirens for the REAL DANGER when I have to wake my family and move them to a safer place! Please!!!!

And, we were told that today we were supposed to have a "ground blizzard."
???!!!!
Back in the day, they used to call that "blowing snow and drifting."
Drama!

But, to be fair, the weather IS pretty dramatic.
Yesterday we got about 18 inches of snow...and they predicted 12-14".
It is going down in the record books as one of the top 10 snowstorms ever recorded. That's pretty impressive.
It was fun being snowed in with my family.
Probably because Mike and Aaron do all the snowblowing and shoveling.
And, I had a DVD we hadn't watched the night before like we had planned...and to be able to do that as a family, in front of the fireplace while it was snowing...well, that was pretty sweet!

We had tickets for the Vikings game today - they play the NY Giants.
The airport was closed yesterday, so the Giants got rerouted to Kansas City.
We heard the Giants were scheduled to fly out early this morning and make it in plenty of time for the noon kickoff. So, we were at the dome in plenty of time for what we thought would be the start of the game. On the way there, we saw this guy driving a car with about 2 feet of snow on top of it. It looked SO FUNNY. I wish I would have had my phone with me...I would have taken a picture for you all...it was really funny looking. Anyhow, when we got there, we went to turn into the parking structure, but there was a few feet of snow in the way of the entrance! It was unplowed....hmmmm...
We drove up to the entrance where authorized personnel only are allowed...Mike said that if you want answers, sometimes you have to go where people will be asking YOU why you're there. :) It worked! We got our answer (albeit, by somebody who was a little bent out of shape that we were unauthorized personnel and that we hadn't heard the news...). Apparently, the metrodome roof had collapsed, due to the weight of all the snow...and the game was postponed to tomorrow - and it will be held in Detroit. Ohhhh...

Guess we should have checked the internet, or watched the news channel or something before we drove out...oh, well.


So, I'm going to attempt to finish the little bit of Christmas shopping I have left today, since I have a few extra hours added to my day. It's hard not to be in the Christmas spirit with all this snow! It will most definitely be a white Christmas in my town! Oh...and there's barely any wind today. No "snow blizzard" like the weatherman predicted! What a drama queen!

6 comments:

Heather said...

I saw that on Sports Center. I am glad no one was hurt.

There is always drama about the weather here too. Every time it rains the newscasters go stand in a low lying area and talk about flooding. Hello? We live a sea level. Get a life.

I am glad you and your family were safe, warm and cozy during the blizzard.

Shelly Rude said...

Dont you watch the news? It was all over the tv this morning. I thought of you the moment that I saw it.I'm sure then Mike offered to take you out for dinner. So when are you flying out to Detroit? bummer!!
We had a terrifying drive home from work yesterday seriously thought we were going to die!

Anonymous said...

Where we moved to, we don't know if it's weather or nerve gas leaks when the sirens go off! Our teen drama has shrunk as the weather drama has increased. My boys are so excited - no school tomorrow. I warned them, though, that we don't want to miss school before Christmas - we want a nice, long January Holiday! Somebody is definitely not listening to me!

Helga said...

Wow!!! That is a whole lotta snow and the roof collapsing is crazy!!! You definitely had a whole lot going on this weekend!

I hope you were able to finish your shopping, I need to do that today or tomorrow. I have two presents that I want to get and then I am staying out of the stores :)

Have a great Monday!!

Laura said...

Okay the siren thing totally had me laughing, it is SO true!! Those thing go off ALL. THE. TIME. I remember first moving here and shortly after we had Alexa and I can't even remember how many times we got her up in the middle of the night to bring her downstairs because that's what you do right!? Yeah we usually don't even get up anymore. :)

I can't believe how much snow we got though! There were parts of our driveway that went up to Matt's hips...and he 6'2". :)

Crazy about the dome! SO glad it was before the game and no one got hurt!

TheFitHousewife said...

Sirens and tornadoes....yikes! Freak me out.
I saw that roof collapse on the news yesterday, that is crazy. Quite the snow storm you had there. Oh well, at least everything will be all white and pretty for Christmas! So do you get a refund for your game tickets?