Well, Manic Monday Moments have been postponed to today, due to the holiday weekend. :) The infusion center at the hospital was closed yesterday, so I got my shot today...so it's beat the clock this morning, before I curl up in my cozy bed and snooze for a while!
How was your weekend? Oh, we had GLORIOUS weather!!!! It was just the best! A little rain on Sunday, but the rest of the weekend was warm and sunny. The fam went fishing on Saturday late afternoon. We go about an hour away from our house (which is funny...we live about 5 minutes from the St. Croix River...if that...which is as wide as the Mississippi...but there were SO MANY boats/yachts/sailboats on the river, I'll bet you could have walked across it!), so we did a few house projects (finally got our surround sound and big screen t.v. up and ordered our sofas for our family room downstairs!) and then took off for "Mom's Favorite Lake." That is what my fam calls this particular lake. It is in a little town called...you won't be able to stand the irony of this....the name of the town is "Luck." Honestly.
So, we had great luck in Luck on Saturday. We only fished a few hours, and the four of us caught 51 sunnies! Actually, it's better than that - only three of us fished...one boy caught one very large dogfish (ugly fish! But, it's only good to eat if you smoke it, and we don't have a smoker, so we released it. It was fun for Aaron to reel in, though - it put up quite a fight...and it was about 30 inches long!...compared to our 6" sunfish.) After Aaron caught the dogfish, he decided he was bored (and, didn't like taking the sunfish off the hook, because they "fin you" - that's what he calls it when they poke you with their boney fins if you don't grasp them right), so THREE of us caught about 50 of the 51 sunnies while ONE of us just annoyed the other three, ate most of our food and asked every 2 minutes exactly WHEN we were going home and if he could drive the boat across the lake. (Ah - how relaxing it is to fish with the fam!) But, the catching was good and it was SO NICE!!!!
Sunday, I got my revenge on the boy, though, because after church I got to take him shopping...his least favorite activity in the world!!! He needed some clothes, since the Jolly Green Giant now wears a men's size 32 waist shorts and size 12 sandal!!! Will this 8th grader ever stop growing? He's as tall as his dad now!
And, yesterday we fished again. It was at the hottest part of the day, which didn't produce as many fish (35 this time, and Aaron was fishing a little bit more, because we found him a fishing GLOVE so he can take the fish off the hook like a MAN lol...while his little sister and I do it bare handed...don't think we didn't mention it, either!). Our neighbor who was mowing his lawn popped over as the boys were scaling and filleting them and mentioned how much he LOVED sunnies. (hint, hint, NEIGHBOR!) So, we brought a bunch over...it's not like we didn't have extra!!! Mike made dinner...the man makes a mean fish fry in our big propane turkey frier. (OUTSIDE...which is nice, because it doesn't make the house smell.)
Speaking of smell, I went outside to go to the hospital this morning...and, uh....the garbage can is full of rotting fish guts. Our whole garage (attached) and outside perimeter of our house has a nasty aroma. We're going to have to address this issue tonight. My Trailblazer smelled all the way to the hospital. NASTY!!!! We should be able to bury them at the end of our yard or something (we have a 1 acre lot), don't you think? That seems like the better solution - one of the indians taught Columbus to do that for fertilizer for maize crops. I'll bet it was just to get the stink away! I'm thinking so...
Well, those are my VERY RANDOM thoughts this morning. I really hope you had a great weekend. And, that you used sunscreen. I used some, but apparently not enough. You know what's weird? I used sunscreen - not old stuff - I just bought it. 35 or 45 spf (I forget..and I'm too lazy to go look right now). Anyhow...I got burned. Granted, I was on a boat on a lake, but still... Back in the day I used to put BABY OIL on my skin and lay out so I could get a deep, dark tan...and I would...I wouldn't even burn. This was back in my 20's...so it was 20 years ago - and I know the sun's rays are more intense now - but isn't that crazy? I remember that - and Ban D'Solei Deep Dark Tanning Oil was a staple with SPF 4 or something like that - and it smelled of coconuts. I still love that smell of that tanning oil. It just smells like summer. Maybe I should get an air freshener that smells like that and put it in my car. Then, I can have a car that smells like fish on the beach in summer! lol
Random thoughts - gotta love it! How was your weekend?
7 comments:
I am jealous you all had lovely weather !! We had a lot of rain!
=) I haven't fished since I was a kid! Your tale sounds like a fun weekend despite said ONE complainer~ ha ha ~ I really should find someone to take us fishing once or twice this summer since the hubby just doesn't do fish!! ha ha! But he is a great daddy ~ piano teacher, soccer coach, tag crocodile hunter!, camper etc! ;)
anyway ~ I used to use oil and sunblock and I always always burn! no matter what I used/use!! =) I agree though ~ either sunscreen is poorly made ~ or the sun is stronger! Hope you enjoy the rest of your day! see you around this week! =)
It sounds like you had an amazing weekend as well (check out my blog to hear about mine)!! I just love to fish, so I am even feeling a little envious that you got to do it twice! I was thinking I was going to catch my guys still out on the lake when I got home on Saturday, but evidently being out there for six hours was enough for them and they went home! :)
Missing you dearly, hoping that we can connect sometime soon!
Loves!
You should post how to fry up those fish. I have no clue but would love to try. Plus catching and eating "off the land" makes me feel all Proverbs 31ish. LOL :)
Oh, Shelly - you would be SO IMPRESSED! The boys have this system...they set up a big table in the yard with a drill duct taped to it (complete with extension cord) and a special scaling tool. Aaron scales them, and Mike cuts off their heads, fillets them and then he either washes and freezes them in ziplocks or he dips them in a milk/egg mixture and then in a coating we get right at Indianhead Restaurant Supply in Eau Claire - by Cub Foods. Or, you can buy Shore Lunch Coating at any grocery store. :) Enjoy!
Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I hope you can send some of that great warm weather up here!!
Hmmm...fish smell, yuck! I bet that's why they buried them too!
Too funny, my usual Monday post was a day late too! Have a good day.
Pennie, you so crack me up! OH the smell of rotten fish...yuck...gag! I love the smell of coconut tanning oil too it does totally smell of summer!!!
I laughed so hard at your comment today...oh my gosh seriously I laughed and laughed and am still laughing...we teach our own...haha, yes couldn't you just so seeing me having a secret cult!? ♥ ya!
I´m glad to hear that you had such a great weekend! Gross about the fish smell though...eeww!!! I like the idea of having a car freshener that smells like coconut tanning oil...yumm!!!
Hope you are feeling ok. I will be thinking of you today!
Post a Comment