Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Bad Hair Day

Okay, I'm not having a bad hair day in the usual sense but let me tell you - hair is the bane of my existence.
Not just because my hair grows so fast that I find myself at the salon constantly getting my locks foiled and trimmed.
Okay...so, my pal Shelly is a hairdresser and so I find myself at Shelly's which usually ends up being a play date which involves my hair being done and her making me a fab lunch and sometimes she throws in a mani-pedi for fun...and we make a date to see a movie...okay, so the hair appointment isn't really a problem...
But hair is a theme in my day.
Every day.
First of all, I hear about it.
All day.
Why?
Because of my son, Aaron.
Now, Aaron is a teenage boy who would like you to think that he's shy and quiet - that's what his teachers say - but anyone who knows him knows that he may be quiet compared to his sister or to me...but he's not really quiet (Bridgette and I are extremely not quiet, so the contrast is striking). He does, however, claim to hate when I create a whole post about him...unless I read it to him and he ends up sounding really cool. (Note: I'm not reading this post to him.) In fact, yesterday when I was finding a baby picture for Bridgette to take to school for a school project where they have to guess whose baby picture is which student Aaron made it clear that she was not to take any picture that included him. He does not like to be the center of attention - never has. He gets that trait from his father. This has become a problem in the past because I am a writer and Women's Conference speaker. Oops. I have learned (in painful ways, I'm sorry to say) that I am not to share any stories about certain members of my family without clearing it with them first. (Ahhhh...one silly story won't hurt...and I wasn't talking about Aaron! tee hee...and I feel naughty today!)
Anyhow...back to hair. Aaron is a wonderful boy. (Note: I just complimented him. See?) WONDERFUL! :) He is also a bit...particular. Like another nameless member of the family. :) (I am being SO GOOD, right???) Anyhow, Aaron seems to find hair in every meal. Yes, you read that right. Am I a bad housekeeper? I doubt it, because a nameless person in our house really hates the house a mess, so I keep it pretty clean. And, the thing is, nobody else finds hair in their food. And, Aaron finds hair no matter where he goes.
Is it in his head?
Hmmmm?
He finds hair in his water.
Aaron, could that be a crack in an ice cube?
He claims not.
When asked why nobody else finds hair in every meal, he responds:
"You just don't look hard enough."
Hair is the bane of my existence.

With that said, I do have a dog in the house. And I vacuum daily. I actually love to vacuum.
It's an illness, really.
My Dyson is my boyfriend. I've written posts on it. The Dyson Animal is THE BEST vacuum. Love, love, love it!!!!
But, when I got MS, I couldn't lug the Dyson downstairs to vac down there.
:(
And I coudln't afford another Dyson.
Boo, hoo, hoo...
So, we bought a Bissell with a middle that pops out so you can carry it up the stairs!
Brilliant!
Not as perfect as the Dyson, but great for the stairs...especially for my limitations.
Doggy hair bye, bye!!!

Then, there's my hair.
Does anyone shed as much as me?
I have really thick, medium length hair.
When I shower, a TON falls out!
And then when I comb it, a TON falls out!
When I blow dry I look in the sink and a TON falls out!

I hate cleaning bathrooms to begin with...but all that hair is super-disgusting. I need to clean all three bathrooms twice weekly...and from the looks of it, I'm not the only one shedding in this family. (Excuse the gross factor here...)

Thank God for Dyson!

Hair is the bane of my existence!
But, I'm glad I have lots of it on my head...
And I don't find it in my every meal and drink...
And that I have such an adorable, furry dog...

I guess it's not really that bad...

9 comments:

TheFitHousewife said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one shedding hair like a dog! Like you, I lose a ton in the shower, a ton when I comb it out, and a ton when I dry it! It's so gross. It's everywhere....and we don't even have a dog....can you imagine?!

Maura said...

I know how you feel! I have way to much hair and it is always falling out. Its hard to belive there is any left on my head :)

Heather said...

After this last baby every time I bathed it looked like I had showered with Chewbacca! I finally gave up and chopped it off. I now have a faux hawk.

As I type this there is a huge hairball behind the recliner that I think may soon take on a life of its own. (It is from our golden retriever...not me.)

At least you attempt to battle back. Not me.

Marianne said...

I read an article about a little boy and his name was Dyson. Maybe Bridgette will have a son one day and name him Dyson in honor of you? hahaha Have you seen the dyson handheld? OMG it's amazing!!!!! The people I work for have one and, I won't lie, I'll make a small mess on purpose just so I can use it. But it costs 250 bucks!


I shed a ton, too, now that my hair is getting longer. I asked my hair stylist, she said it's normal for long, thick hair to fall out a lot. It's just the dead hairs making way for fresh hairs.

CM said...

Oh dear, I can totally relate! My hubby is constantly complaining about my hair being all over the house. But when I tell him I'll just go shave it all off, he backs down ;-)

Helga said...

My hair is falling out of my head at a crazy rate. I keep waiting to go bald!!! I told my coworker (who is going bald) that I would start saving my hair that is in my hairbrush for her and she can get extensions in her hair lol (we have a good relationship like that...she didn't get offended...maybe a little bit excited even haha).

There is some sort of pill/vitamin that my cousin took when she was breastfeeding that made her stop losing so much hair and she said it worked wonders for her. I am going to try taking that and see how it works for me.

Enough rambling from me!!

Have a great Wednesday!

Shelly Rude said...

Oh how I miss you!
Yes losing a fair amount of hair is most normal. Its when you start losing it in one place all at once is when its alarming. Have you asked your DR.? I'm sure she would say the same thing.
Tell Aaron you are just preparing him for college when you never know whats in the food but you are so hungry you just eat it! I'm almost certain even at home he still eats the food that he thinks he found the hair in.
I read once of some crazy lady who kept belly button lint & then made a beautiful piece of art with it, maybe your family could do this with your hair.
LOVE!!!

Seizing My Day said...

Pennie you crack me up... yes I know this post was last week... but I am catching up!! haha! some people must be read daily... for fear of missing out! ;) I totally want a dyson and I wish I vacuumed every day! haha!

Seizing My Day said...

Pennie you crack me up... yes I know this post was last week... but I am catching up!! haha! some people must be read daily... for fear of missing out! ;) I totally want a dyson and I wish I vacuumed every day! haha!