Today I had the pleasure of going to my monthly book club. Now if you remember, I've only been going for a few months....and I began this book club with my good friend Heather. These are all her friends - and she's the only one I ever met from this club. I've been broadening my horizons, meeting new women. I love that. They pretty much have learned my name...but that's only one name for them to learn! I have eight or so names to match to faces! I know Heather's name! (ha ha) That's one! I did remember Terri's name, and the new girls - Miriam and Cathy...because everyone kept saying their names. I recognized everyone else, but of course I can't remember names for the life of me, but I didn't let on to that fact. (I'm a good bluffer.) In fact - there was one lady I sat next to...and she looked so familiar...I couldn't remember if she was new or not. Then, about two-thirds of the way through our time together it hit me - she got a haircut! (And it looked gorgeous on her!) So, although I couldn't place the name, after book club I had to comment on how cute she looked!
I'll have to have Heather run down the names again for me. But, I did remember Terri's name! And, I've got Miriam and Cathy down! (The new girls!)
We discussed this book, "The Art of Racing in the Rain."
It was a book that was written from the perspective of a dog. Yeah, I know. I didn't think I'd like it, either. I was like, really? But, the point of book club is to read books you wouldn't normally choose. So, I did...and my goodness - this was the best book we've read so far! Seriously! It was very clever, and there was a whole story line to it. I'd recommend it. I'd offer to send it to you, but I'm sending it to my sister Lori - so, try to get it from the Library or something. I'd love to hear what you thought of it. There are parts that are hilarious, and other parts are touching....and some are just plain clever. I'm really glad I read it.
Next month we were supposed to discuss a classic - The Great Gatsby. Now, I ordered it from Amazon and was about one third of the way through. It was pretty painful reading. I know it's a classic, but seriously? If I was born back then, I could have published this blog and made a fortune because that kind of writing was BLAND and BORING!!!!! I could have been famous I tell you! I almost choked while reading the thing, it's so dry! It wasn't just my experience...several of the book clubbies felt the same way, so we switched it up and now we're going to discuss Ray Bradford's Fahrenheit 451.
I went to the library to check that one out, and I tried to look it up by title. It's been a while since I've had to spell "Fahrenheit!" I went up to the front desk and was humbled when I found out that the reason I couldn't find the book was that I was spelling the word wrong. Oops! (And I was always the winner of the spelling bee! What happened???!)
So...read any good books lately???

5 comments:
I am truly embarrassed to say that I haven't read a book in a couple of months. Between work and trying to keep up with blogs, I haven't had the time.
I started to read the dog book but something just wouldn't let me get over that whole dog narrator hurdle. I'll have to give it a try!
I've got a book "written" by the dog of one of my favorite authors... Or so it says.
Trixie, dog of Dean Koontz. It's in my coffee table but has been years since I read thru it.
Gonna have to try and do that one of these years.
Haven't read anything more than craft magazines for quite a while. Tried to get into a new mystery book series but found the playful banter stupid and took it back to the library. My 13 year old niece, who has written a book, writes better than that. oh! I guess I proofed her book for her too.
That book sounds interesting!! I haven't read anything in a long, long, long time!!! One fine day I will have the time to pick up a book and read. Until then I am going to read blogs :)
I have a hard time remembering names too!! I have a hard time remembering faces too LOL!!!
Have a great Tuesday!!!
I think I need that doggy book!! ;)
I like hilarious and clever!!
I am the exact same way with names... horrible!! we started a new church... which I love btw... and we started a bible study with the young couples (which includes the pastor and his wife) ... I'll be darned ... I can not remember half their names a good 5 weeks in!! *sigh* one couple at a time!! never mind their kids!! sheesh!!
I really like the idea of a book club, I think it is time Heidelberg had one........ Just finished Committed, by Elizabeth Gilbert, excellent, as good as Eat Pray Love. Reading at the moment He Came To Set The Captives Free by Dr Rebecca Brown, very very dark and deep
Post a Comment