I have great memories of my grandmother. Some of my best memories of Tinker Grandma (my maternal grandmother, aptly named after her Chihuahua "Tinkerbell") include visiting at her house and having dinners of delicious foods, and lots of yummy desserts. She lived nearby and her grandchildren stopped by often. She always had some treat or goody to share. Nobody ever left Tinker Grandma's hungry.
Friday my kids had no school because conferences were going on. After I went to the high school and saw a few of Aaron's teachers, and then went to the Middle School and visited a few of Bridgette's teachers, I buzzed home and threw some clothes and stuff into my overnight bag and had the kids do the same and packed up Angel's things and we all headed to my mom's. I realized this weekend how much she is like her mom, Tinker Grandma. (My kids even used to call my mom "Honeybear Grandma," once upon a time - when her dog Honeybear was alive many years ago...but the past 12 years her dog has been Bandit...and my mom refused to be called "Bandit Grandma!")
I almost forgot how fun it was to just be spoiled for a day and a night! My mom made it such a fun time for us. We didn't do anything really out of the ordinary...maybe that was what was so great. Aaron did some leaf blowing for my mom and Bridgette vacuumed her carpet and did some fine motor things that are difficult for her to do since she has rheumatoid arthritis. After that, my mom took us out to dinner at an area diner we really like (We used to live in that town, so we had a favorite diner that we introduced my mom to when she moved to that town. We seem to end up there often when we visit my mom.) and then we took her shopping to get some things she needed. We stopped to get some DVD's. It was funny - my mom had never seen Avatar, so we rented it. When we got back, I had to give myself my MS shot. I get a little sick from that, so the rest of the night we took it easy. Aaron was sleeping on the sleeper sofa in the living room, so we pulled that out. My mom has a thing for pillows - she's always had a ton of them! I love that! We pulled out a bunch of them and Aaron, Bridgette and I got on the sleeper sofa with a ton of pillows and fluffy down comforters and my mom sat on a living room chair and we watched Avatar and ate chips and lots of goodies.
Saturday morning we had a wonderfully relaxing morning. My mom and I could visit forever! And she had so many yummy things for breakfast and lunch for my kids. I didn't really have much of an appetite, but my kids were so excited. It brought back memories of my Tinker Grandma. My mom's really amazing. She has the gift of hospitality. I hope I can be as good of a grandma as she is.
I really enjoyed myself this weekend. And my mom gave me one of those Willow Tree Angels. The "Mother and Daughter" one that celebrates the love between mother and daughter.
There's nothing like a night being spoiled by your mom, is there? I don't care how old you are...mom is where it's at.
I hope my kids feel the same way about me - not just now, but when they grow up and come visit. I really do. Visiting my mom always feels like coming home.

5 comments:
You know how I feel about my Mamma....she is where it's at :o)
I'm glad to hear that you had a good time at your Mamma's. Tinker Grandma and Honeybear Grandma are some cute names for them.....love it!!!
The picture of Kobe on my blog are of him sitting on my Mamma's sofa. She has pink couches!!! I'm telling you I didn't think that could ever happen but believe it or not they were her husbands before she met him!!! They are a match made in Heaven!! LOL
Have a great Monday!!
What a great blog..... when it all comes down to life..... this is what it is all about, family.......
That is so wonderful Pennie! It sounds like you have a great relationship, much like my mom and me! There is always something comforting being with your mom. When we were in Arizona, my mom and I loved to shop together, that's what we do best!
I agree, there's nothing like Mom! Sounds like you had a great time, family time is the best. :)
What a beautiful, beautiful post. It is true that nothing can beat the love of a mom.
Post a Comment