Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Relative Patience and Wafflemelon

I just got back yesterday from a weekend of fun and frolic with my hubby's family. Every summer, we spend a long weekend with Mike's brothers and their families and Mike's parents. We go to a vacation town in Northern Wisconsin and rent a big house on a lake. Mike and his other brother bring boats. There are four couples in all, and six children ranging in age from 8 to 17.
This year we gathered later than any other year, so naturally it was chillier than ever. The men-folk went to a sporting show, fished, sat around the fire, took walks, took the kids tubing around the lake, played tennis and visited - when they weren't "volunteered" to barbecue burgers or fry up fish.
The women played board games, visited (a lot!!!), went garage saling, went to a movie with the kids (the older ones went to one movie, the younger ones to another), made meals, shopped around town and coordinated the meals.
The kids played kick-the-can when it was daylight and ghost in the graveyard when it was night-time. Usually until somebody got hurt. (Play to the death!!!) They tubed and played board games. Some fished, some shopped and all ate plenty!
What struck me was the amount of patience Mike's relatives have with their grandchildren. Especially - ummm - the grandchildren that came from my loins! Take, for instance the scene at breakfast Saturday morning. The home we rented was this beautiful, newer model. Mike and I were sitting at the table with a few of the relatives. Mike's mom was making waffles at the kitchen snack bar area. Gathered around her were Mike's brother and a few nieces on stools. Mike's mom was just about finished making waffles, when I overheard Aaron say something about watermelon...no, wait...he said WAFFLE-melon????? I took a peek over, and he's carrying a chunk of watermelon over to his uncle. I look across the table at Mike. (You know the look - the "we're going to have to step in and control our son" look.) Just then Mike's mom says, "Aaron, there's watermelon juice all over my waffle maker!" I was about to open my mouth when Mike's brother says, "Mom! Watermelon is mostly water - it will steam off. Aaron - that's good! Make me another piece!" I shoot a questioning look over at Mike, who looks at me as if to say "Keep out of it." So, I do. Pretty soon, Aaron is slicing a piece of seedless watermelon in half length-wise and putting it into the waffle maker. I roll my eyes. Steam is rolling out of the waffle maker. Aaron's aunt suggests trying blueberries.
Really????!!!!!

I would NEVER be that patient with the boy. NEVER.

But, then again, I did pump my niece full of sweets this weekend. Not something I do with my own children.

3 comments:

Seizing My Day said...

um... yeah... I would have died watching watermelon go into a waffle maker!! So funny! my kids just learned the ghost in the graveyard game... I think... I have never heard of it!! ;) but they played in daylight! Sounds like a great weekend!

PS I am feeling better... but my afternoons/evenings are not what I had hoped by now... *sigh*... still recovering I guess? sheesh!

CM said...

Ha! He's a creative boy! That actually sounds yummy!

Glad you had a good time!

Helga said...

Wafflemelon sounds good :o) I LOVE watermelon so anything having to do with watermelon right now sounds good :o) I haven't had any this year :o( That's what happens when you move to a country that is just a tiny little island floating out in the middle of nowhere LOL!!!

I'm glad to hear you guys had a good time with the family. I would love to go to a cabin, I was just telling my Mamma that the other day. It would be so great to spend a weekend together :o)

Okay, I have to get back to work. I actually posted today....shocker huh?? I have been so busy I haven't had a chance to blog or even read blogs. Hopefully once my apartment is finished I can start getting back to my blog routine.

Have a great Thursday!!!