I had to use some creative fundraising to raise my bail for this Muscular Dystrophy fundraiser. I've started the MS Walk anually now the past two years, and I'm constantly doing fundraisers for SAMmy's - the ministry I direct...so last August, when I was praying and felt God leading me to do something more in the community and two hours later a woman calls and tells me I'm one of "Hudson's Most Wanted" and they wanted to throw me in jail "for good," I initially wanted to say no. (Although I do my fair share of it, I don't enjoy fundraising one bit!) But, I guess I figured that if I felt God leading me to go out into the community to do something and I didn't do it, that would be disobedience...and nothing good can come of that! So...off I went!
I sheepishly asked a few for donations - I even posted on here - but didn't really expect anything - and I got what I expected. Sheesh - I just did the MS walk last spring! I know!
So...I arranged to stand in front of Wal-Mart with a sign that said "Help me raise bail $...I'm going to jail for Jerry's Kids." Well...you have no idea how many people don't know who "Jerry's Kids" are! I had this one woman come up to me and say "Really? Are you going to jail for somebody else's kids?" I laughed. What did she think? I was really raising bail for an actual jail? Was this a new government program??? hahahahaha
Anyhow, I stood out there for a few hours...and never approached a soul - I just let them read the sign and said, "Good morning" to everybody - whether they gave or not. (I TOLD YOU I hated fundraising! I'm a soft-spoken person - not aggressive at all!)
I made $160 that way! That was a pretty uplifting experience. Many people ENJOYED giving me a couple of bucks - you could see it in their faces. It was pretty inspiring.
Then, the day I went to jail, my SAMmy's leaders - Heather and Megan went with me. My friend Cathy called me on my cell to talk to me about some SAMmy's stuff. I told her what I was doing and she asked if I needed money for bail. She donated. My friend Naomi was with her and she donated...I didn't need to ask! Then, I texted this jail pic to my pal Shelly...just to be funny...and she made a BIG donation (thanks Shell) - and I ended up, when all was said and done, to collect $250!
It ended up being a really fun experience. And, I didn't have to bother anybody...which is what I hate doing when I fundraise. (That's why I like doing bake sales for SAMmy's...everybody loves those! They get goodies in return for money!) And, I got to spend some quality time with Heather and Megan!
4 comments:
I always knew the way you live, you'd land in there... *shakes head*
Good job on the fundraiser!
Great job on the fundraiser!
What a cute jailbird you are!
I hate fundraising too. I would much rather bake something and sell it for charity!
Well I'd say that's success! Just wondering though, did you get MY donation? I did it online and used the link you had here......I want to make sure you get credit for it...:) It already came out of our checking so I'm sure it went to the organization but did they ever tell you that your little link on here DID work??? (You mentioned up there that you didn't get any responses - so I'm just making sure you're not missing any OTHER donations in your name)
Well way to go, and I gotta say...that the lady who asked about the jail...well...WOW.
Post a Comment