Friday, September 9, 2011

I'm A Wanted Woman

I'm going to Jail for Jerry's Kids, Help Bail me OUT! </P>
<P>MDA Lock-up


Well, I did it. I got a call a while ago from a gal saying I was one of my town's "Most Wanted" because I was a "business owner." (I'm really just the director of a nonprofit...a small potatoes one at that...nothing impressive at all in the scheme of things...) Anyhow, she asked if I would be willing to "go to jail" for Jerry's Kids. It would involve raising donations for Muscular Dystrophy, and then going to lunch on September 15th (the luncheon is "jail") with the other business owners who have agreed to go to "jail" and present the money we've raised.

I have raised money for Multiple Schlerosis in the MS Walk the past two years for MS Research - since I have been diagnosed with MS. That just makes sense. But the morning I got this call, I had felt in my prayer time that God was leading me to branch outside of my comfort zone (my women's ministry - SAMmy's) to go into the community and help there. Hob-nobbing with other business owners and helping MDA (The Muscular Dystrophy Association) sure seemed to fit the bill. So, I accepted the challenge.

Well...here it is, weeks later...and I haven't collected a penny. And, I've received updates about other business owners who have collected hundreds, thousands of dollars! Gulp! (What was I thinking? I HATE fund-raising!) So, a few days ago, I made up these posters, using a template from the MDA website:


I'm not really sure who I'm going to give them to, but I'm willing to try...maybe put one up at church?

Then, I scheduled time for THIS MORNING to stand in front of the Wal-Mart in town and beg for solicit donations for a few hours before a SAMmy's leader meeting I have this afternoon. I made a big folding sign that says "HELP ME RAISE BAIL $ I'M GOING TO JAIL FOR JERRY'S KIDS" and on the other side it says "YOUR DONATIONS ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE".

So, if you think of me before September 15th...say a prayer for me, okay? I'd really appreciate it. Or, if you or a business you know of would like to make a tax deductible donation (your cancelled check serves as your receipt), they can click on this link to make an on-line donation.

Also, if you have any ideas for creative (and easy) ways to fundraise...please let me know! ;)

3 comments:

TheFitHousewife said...

Sorry I can't help ya with this one....I hate fundraising too. Asking people for money makes me queasy ;)

Karen Whittal said...

MMMMMM..... we needed money for the children's ministry one so we kidnapped the minister, and held him for ransom until the congregation paid up... he must be good we got a lot of money for him......

Kurtzhals said...

So how did it end up? I was able to donate through the link you had up, did you get it? When I was fundraising for Aleah's gymnastics nationals trip, it was hard because I'm sure people viewed it as a "vacation" which it was, but it was a sporting event just like any other "car wash" and "bake sale" sporting events...we just had to do it ourselves for our own kid which made it more personal I think.
:)