My daughter was in tears the other day over some teenage quandry - feeling left out of something that frankly I didn't blame her for feeling bad about. And so we had the talk.
No...not THAT TALK...we had that ages ago! We had the talk that I've been mulling over the past couple of years. Now that her hormones have kicked in, she has to face the truth. She has entered the cycle of (wait for it): Constant Change.
She is a freshman, and she will change rapidly.
She will be drastically different in college.
Then she will be drastically different AGAIN when she enters the working world.
If she chooses to marry...need I say it? I think not.
And, I believe that even more than men, women tend to feel the brunt of the changes that occur with children. We carry them, and go through the hormonal changes. We are the nurturers (of course, that's a generalization...) - in my case, anyhow. Every time the child enters a new stage, we need to alter our mothering and be one step ahead.
Then, we hit menopause and empty nesting.
And it goes on and on.
The only thing that stays the same...is that things will constantly change.
So, I told her that she needed to resign herself to roll with the punches and find the good in every situation. And then I told her the other "secrets" I knew...a girl sometimes needs a good cry, she can always come to Mom, a good girlfriend is good too, and a bowl of ice cream doesn't hurt either!
So, we went inside and by the time we both had a bowl of ice cream she felt so much better (and wouldn't you know it, my craving for ice cream was gone)!
;)
2 comments:
You're such a good mom! I'm sure that totally helped her deal with the situation. Freshman year is tough.
Awww...she is blessed to have a mom like you. I totally remember crying to my mom about how hard life was when I was a teenager! I don't miss those days ;) Now I cry just because!
Post a Comment