Friday, April 17, 2009

A Letter to A Friend

A Quick Note To My Dear Pal, The Wife of Noble Character,

You know I've looked up to you for some time now, and I have to admit - in the past you've really intimidated me. I read your book again today (Proverbs 31:10-31), and every time I do, I realize that we're really more alike than I've ever thought.

Except that you have these servants you wake up to make portions for. If only. Then again, I have a dishwasher and washing machine and a car - things you didn't have access to...they are kind of like my servants...so, I guess we're even.

The thing that used to make me feel so overwhelmed when I read about your life is that you did SO MUCH - I mean, my goodness! You're doing your housework and sewing and dabbling in real estate and staying up late and waking up early. Living in your shadow has exhausted me in the past, to tell you the truth. But, you know what? When I read about you today, I realized that my hands are in quite a few things, too. Sure, maybe I'm not sewing sashes for the merchants (And can I hear a few "Amens" and "Praise Gods" from the merchants? I didn't opt out of home economics class for no reason!), but I am doing quite a few things as a wife, mom and ministry leader. And, although all of my attempts at good deeds aren't necessarily successful, there are a few that are. So, we have that in common.

And, that "beauty is fleeting" part of your book? Well, I'm in the "over 40" category...

But, mostly, I relate to you because I am a busy woman who is trying to make a difference by glorifying God in all I do.

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."

Prov. 31:30-31

So, thanks for the encouragement. You know exactly what to say to make my day!

Love, Your Friend, Pennie

1 comment:

Kurtzhals said...

Amen. YOU SURE DO!!! Go get em girl.