Friday, March 30, 2012

THE DREAM: Part Three

I took the music ministry application home, and began to fill it out. I went through the whole thing, skipping the questions that needed more time to think through and figuring I'd get back to them later.

I got to the last question and had to laugh. It asked me to sum up why I thought I should be on the music team. Well, that was easy. I didn't. God was the One who prompted me to pick up the application in the first place! So I wrote down some answer that makes me chuckle now. I wrote something like, "It's true, I have been on a few different music ministry teams, but not for years. I think the music team at this church makes beautiful music that honors God. I don't want to be on the team unless God is in the decision. So, I will not be hurt in the least if I am not the addition God has for you to choose. What the music ministry does here is beautiful and I don't want that to change." I just laugh when I imagine what they are thinking about that answer! Oh, my goodness! (Does this chick have an inferiority complex? Does she need psychiatric help?) I just laugh!!!

But...when I went back to the questions that were difficult to answer one night, ready to work on them, the last question I had to fill in was, "What would you say your best friend or spouse would say are your three best qualities?" Sheesh! I dislike questions like that! Well, considering my best friend IS my spouse, I went into the living room and read the question to him.

Mike: It says "What would YOU say"...
What a weenie! I wasn't going to let him get off that easy!
Me: C'mon! I need some help!
I could see his gears turning. I know this was a tough one...he does not express his thoughts easily. He's a man of VERY FEW words!!!
Mike: Well, you're a good mom.
Ugh. I didn't let the smile leave my face, because I wanted to encourage him, but I had grown to hate that statement. I am, you know. It's the thing I'm best at...I AM a good mom. I've always wanted to be a mom - my whole life. I have no regrets in my mothering. I've poured my life into our kids. But...every Mother's Day card, every Anniversary Card, every Valentine's Day card is signed "Love, Mike." I am a lover of WORDS...personal words!!!! And, when I open a card and I see that Mike has written some personal little note, my heart skips a beat. In our 19 years of marriage, those personal words are usually "You're a good mother to our children."
It makes me feel so beautiful and sexy.
NOT!!!
But, I also know that words don't come easily to Mike. He's a quiet, private kind of guy. He always has been. So, I don't want to discourage him. He IS my best friend, after all. And, the fact that I'm a good mom does mean a lot to me and he knows that. That is why he said it in the first place...and I know that. So...I'm a good mom.
Me: What else? I need two more.
Mike: You're a good wife.
Well, it's not like I'm trying to get on the music team...any good wives and moms out there? Those are special qualities for the music team...
Mike: You have a good heart.
Awwww...that's better.
Me: Thanks, honey.

Well, it was better than nothing, so I wrote that down and handed in my application. It's been over a month and I still haven't heard back. Maybe part of the reason I had to hand it in was to see if I would be obedient. Maybe I'll hear from the music leader in the future, after the Easter production. Who knows? I'm not worried or concerned. What will be, will be.

But, about a week after handing in the application, I came out to the kitchen in the morning. Mike had already gone to work. I saw an envelope had been laid on the keyboard of my computer.
???!!!!
I honestly looked at my planner to see if it was Valentine's Day yet (it was the end of January)...Nope. Our anniversary is in March. I was racking my brain to figure out what holiday I had missed.
???!!!!
Perplexed, I opened the card. It was a beautiful card. On the front was a quote from Maya Angelou: "In all the world there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world there is no love for you like mine."
On the inside of the card, it read: I am thankful for all that has happened to bring us together...I know our love was meant to be."

That's all lovely and everything, but on the lefthand side of the inside of the card, the side that is usually blank, it was FILLED with VERY SMALL writing - Mike's writing!!!!
The FIRST paragraph (of four VERY LONG paragraphs) starts out "The other day you asked me what three things I love most about you and I said that you're a great mother, a great wife and that you're kind hearted. Here's a little more on each quality."

Then, he went on to explain why he loved those things about me. He signed the card, "I love you very much and do consider you to be my very best friend."

No matter what happens in my women's ministry, with the music ministry - I've got it all right here at home. I'm livin' the dream, people. Livin' the dream.

4 comments:

McVal said...

AWEE!!!!!

CM said...

Aww, that is awesome! I bet you will treasure that card forever!

Anonymous said...

I just read parts two and three, and I love this ending. What a blessing you received from your husband regardless of your direction with ministries. :)

Maura said...

I would have to agree. You do have a good heart :)