This vacation was a hoot, though...before all of this activity. A total hoot! Here's my "term paper" LOL:
My family and I recently spent time together vacationing at
Acadia National Park…a delightful park making up a large portion of Mount
Desert Island, Maine. Besides the fact that I’d NEVER been that far Northeast
so the whole “harbor town” and “lobster 24/7” was new to me, I managed to learn
a few things while we were camping.
I learned to let myself be old. Oh, I know that’s socially incorrect,(old=bad, right?) but with vacationing comes an attitude
– a relaxed “Who cares?” kind of attitude…and it’s a good thing that this
attitude had permeated my system by the time I woke up old. Yes, you read that
right. There aren’t a lot of mirrors around when you’re camping in a tent
(Hallelujah!), so this may have happened sooner, but a few days into our trip
we were on a dock in Bar Harbor (Baa Hah Buh to the Eastern locals) watching
the lobstermen empty their traps. I slipped into the public restroom at the end
of the dock, and while washing my hands, I glanced at my reflection….YIKES!!!!
No, not because I was such a fright! (hmph!) I had sun spots (albeit, age
spots) on both sides of my face. Let me rephrase that…I had sun spots that had
huddled so close together that they were almost two blotches with a few flesh
colored holes that covered each cheek. No joking. Being in the vacationing
frame of mind, I shrugged my shoulders and thought that I’d have to purchase
the fade cream I had heard about but never needed. Hmmm….
I learned to let myself be young. Okay, I always let
myself act this way. ;) But, we did a whole lot of playing as a family. Gosh, I
really fall in love with my husband and children all over again when we get
this time to play together and see them at their playful best!
I learned that some people are drawn to me and my personality.
I don’t say this to sound arrogant. You’re probably the same way if you’re
outgoing. J
My husband was always amazed at how long I took every morning in the bathroom
facilities, but almost EVERY MORNING Bridgette and I would meet an interesting
woman from a different state or province of Canada and get to talking or meet
up with somebody we had met previously and catch up! And, when we’d go to other
places…the same thing; what is it about women and bathrooms that makes it so
easy to chat?
I learned that not everybody is drawn to me and my personality.
Again, I don’t say this to sound arrogant. I always knew that not everyone
loves me. I get it. I was just REMINDED. ;) I've previously told you in other posts throughout the years that I was a
storyteller. I have a voracious love of reading, extreme-amateur photography, and listening to music. So, I
always have some kind of story idea, photo op or song playing in my head at all
times. (It’s pretty noisy in this head of mine!) Actually, I usually have one particular
song playing in my head. Mostly, because my kids found out I was singing it one
day and thought it was such a stupid/funny song from the past (“That’s Not MyName” by the Ting Tings). Actually, it’s one my friend Cathy always chants.
But, it’s contagious. So…I was making breakfast at camp on our camp stove,
cracking eggs, oven mitt on…and, of course when I saw my kids watching me
bee-bop to the song in my head and grinning, I had to put on worthy performance
(that always gets me in trouble, btw…).
I started singing into my spatula like a microphone, changing
the lyrics to pertain to me:
“They call me her,
They call me Pinky…
That’s not my name, That’s not my name…
They call me Momma, they call me P-Dog “
(NOTE: our friend Bart was a youth pastor and thought it was
funny to call me P-Dog instead of Pennie)
“That’s not my name, That’s not my name…”
Well, the kids were ROFL as I vine stepped into my hubby,
who I didn’t hear walk up behind me (He
is never as impressed with this immature side of me as the kids are…. Sigh.)
And then he reminded me that it was EARLY in the morning and
that “P-Dog should keep it down until the neighboring campers are up.”
Oh, yeah. He was totally right.
Oops!!!!
I learned that things aren't always what them seem...some even make a great story! Okay….guilty
on this one, too…I’ve known this for quite a while. Travelling with my family
is enjoyable. We’re a fun group. I guess I am voted Queen Clown.
There were no showers at the campground we stayed at. (I
hate that!) So, we had to find a pay-to-shower place. (All National Parks have
some place like that real close to their exit to make a few bucks, it seems.)
The showers were little (I do mean LITTLE) rooms with a shower & changing
area, and place to put your toiletries and of course the slots for the
quarters! ($2 for 4 minutes/10 gallons of hot water….amazing , but 4 minutes
does the trick!) The showers were co-ed,
which didn’t bother me because they were all their own separate stalls. After I
showered , I brought my stuff to this little room where Mike and this other
person (couldn’t tell if the person was a teenage boy or girl?) were preening
in front of the sinks and mirror/counter. Mike and I conversed a little while
he finished his shaving and then just when I was going to take his spot (there
was only room for two at the mirrors), Aaron swooped right in, from out of
nowhere, and took my spot!!!
I looked at my pretentious little teenager and said,
“Aaron!”
Mike told Aaron that I had been waiting for that spot and it
wasn’t very nice to muscle me out like that.
Aaron looked kind of patronizingly at me and said, “Well,
Mom, this IS the Men’s Room!”
The boy (now I knew it was a teenage BOY!) next to Aaron
looked at me, eye to eye. *Gulp!*
I grabbed my stuff, and laughing, ran out of the “little
room” that I did see was clearly marked “Men’s Room.”
I ran into the Women’s Room and plopped my stuff next to
Bridgette, laughing.
Seeing me laughing with a twinkle in my eye, she asked “What
did you do?”
Laughing, I told her…and the lady from Australia next to her
listened in….
….and we took WAY TOO LONG having a jolly old time:
Bridgette, me and our new friend from Australia….in the Women’s Room.
Let me tell you ladies,
it’s way more fun in the Women’s Room than the Men’s!
(That’s probably the main lesson I learned on my summer vacation.)
Bwahahaahahhahhahhahahaha….Funny, but true!!!
And, of course, we took an obscenely (no pun intended) long time in the ladies room because we were chatting with our new friend, and our boys were waiting in the parking lot. And when we got to the car Mike looked at me and said, "So, you took awfully long in there? Who did you meet this time?" And, with a twinkle in his eye he said, "You didn't go back in the men's room to meet more friends, did you?"
What a brat!
3 comments:
I want to hear your stories! My brother is a heck of a storyteller so I really appreciate that kind of thing. I love that you had a goof session in the ladies room!
Welcome back! I'm glad you had a fun summer and men just don't understand how woman can chat someone up in the bathrooms... If they did that, they'd get a label...
Hi Pennie... its me in the land of blog... visiting you! I take advantage of f/b now ... and I was here a couple days ago and had to help a child or something... so I had to come back to comment!! lol! =) My life is insanely busy too... bloggging only happens once a week if I am lucky... just floating it along with my little photography thing that I do... anyway... OH how I miss your posts Pennie! you are so funny! Your vacation sounds dreamy!! OH... we would camp splendidly together!! my kids always ask me why I talk to people everywhere I go... including bathrooms... ha ha!! they are on the shyer side ... =) I love this post... and everything you said... all the lessons... I agree... old and young live in harmony with one another in this chicks body!! so if you ever travel to Oregon... we MUST camp Cannon Beach together... must!! =) if I say anymore I'll have written more than you... I'll snoop at your last few posts from Spring... see if I read them or not! ha ha! Blessings~~
Post a Comment